I want this saw...

I was trying to find a picture or video of how to rip the corner off a 4x4 with a circular saw for a friend (haven't found one yet) but came across this tool that I just might need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LPWiKRLCEI&NR=1

RayV said:

And yet it still wasn't "man sized" enough to completely cut through that timber... ;-)
Greg G.
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:18:26 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Should have used this one...
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAI7-Qa2Io

PCPaul said:

Now THAT's a saw. Probably used for competition logging events.
Greg G.

<snip>

Sure ain't "topping" any trees with it.
They keep messin with that thing and somebody's gonna get hurt....
PCPaul wrote:

I bet there is no chain break. ;~)
Leon said:

Your leg. For about .05 seconds, anyway.
I watched another video from another angle, and it struck me how easy it would be to lose a leg in a millisecond if that thing skittered off the end of the log. The guy on the short end of that log is getting the short end of the deal for sure...
Greg G.
"> I bet there is no chain break. ;~)"
If it does break, I don't want to be in the neighborhood1

Tim Allen meets chainsaw - O my gawd!

that's not a tool. that's a ridiculous piece of machinery with no purpose beyond entertaining rednecks. not that there's anything wrong with entertaining rednecks, but the OP was wanting a tool.
and the tool he was looking at, a makita 16" beam saw, is one that I have an earlier model of. it's great for single pass cutoff of timbers up to 7" depth, but you wouldn't want to do a lot of ripping with it, nor would you want to try to balance it on the edge of a 4x4 to rip off a corner.
do your ripping on a table saw.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

Well I wasn't going to SAY that... Not out loud anyway...

OK - Here is an attempt to be useful for a change. If you are wanting to clip the corners, as in making a square post more rounded, or more of an octagonal shape, tilt you circular saw blade to 45 degrees and screw a wooden shoe onto the base of the saw as a guide. Your depth of cut is limited, so check before committing to the final parts, but it should clip corners on a typical 4x4 post OK.
Greg G.

That is what I was looking for a picture of but couldn't find. I told him to screw a piece of scrap to the 4x4 and run the short side of the saw plate against it to knock off the opposite corner. I've done this many times and most CS have enough depth at 45 to make the cut. Your way is more flexible and a bit safer because my way the saw wants to pull away so you need to hold it tight.
Thanks for the tip.
On Jan 16, 7:15 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There really are two Americas and fortunately, I don't find myself in that one often...

For thicker lumber, I prefer a bandsaw...
Cheers, Jeff
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:24:25 -0800, Jeff wrote:

I don't know about you LeftPondians, but I couldn't even fit that 20' 4x4 beam in my shop (a one UK car sized garage, about 18'x10')... and anyway I then couldn't lift it and manouevre it anything like accurately.
That job basically needs an even bigger circular saw or even just a plain old fashioned handsaw and some effort...
Now, thassa saw!

Gosh, if I olny had the $750 laying about - I mean "Free Shipping" is included!
FREE SHIPPING -- Makita (Corded) Circular Saw -- 15 Amp, 16 5/16in. Dia., Model# 5402NA
This "Jumbo" circular saw is ideal for log home builders, timber framers or for anyone who want to make clean, precise cuts into materials up to 6 1/4in. thick. Features an oversized trigger handle to ensure operating ease, with or without gloves. Its big support handle contributes to operator ease and comfort. The 87dB noise level is easy on the ears and the high-power, 15 Amp motor adds to the top- of-the-line cutting performance. U.S.A.
write a review Be the first to write a review.

Does it come with a guy to carry it for ya?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Nah, too small - couldn't make the cut in one pass!