I'm looking for small 'L-brackets'

Page 1 of 2

Hi ya'll,
I got a microwave cart at Big Lots for $19.95 that has a kind of 'trim board' that goes across the front. So you can't see the particle board egde. This is the kind that you put tohether yourself. There was supposed to be two little 'L-brackets' with 4 screws in the box, they hold the front trim to the bottom of the top shelf. Anyway those were not in there. Since it was the last one they gave me $15 off and keep the cart, but I can't find the small 'L-brackets' anywhere to put the trim board on. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and Ace Hardware, they smallest they have are Stanley that are 1 inch long on each side, too long, only 1/2 inch would be good.
Does anybody know a place online that sells these small 'L-brackets'? I only need 2. I looked on Gooogle but I can only find things people did with L-brackets, not who sells them. Except Rockler but those are 1 inch too. Or is there a 'pro' name for this part that is a better search?
Thanks,
Sheri L

I haven't seen them so for the type of table you are talking about, I would make my own. You should be able to find the 1/2" metal at HD or Lowes. Use a hack saw to cut it to length, 1". File the edges. Clamp in a vice and take a hammer and bend at the halfway point. Drill holes on each side.
Alternately, you should be able to cut down the size of the 1" stanley brackets.
David
<snip>

Or use a couple of wooden blocks of appropriate size, with glue and pre- drilled screw holes. Were it me, I'd use my brad nailah.
Patriarch
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:31:21 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch

Riddle me this:
What has poor Brad ever done to you guys to make y'all continually want to nail him?
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:31:21 -0500, Patriarch

There's already pre-drilled holes. Just need the brackets. Thanks anyway Patriarch.
Sheri L
posted:

Thanks anyway for the idea David but that's alot of work and tools I don't have for a $1.79 part. I'll going to find one sooner or later, I just thought someone here might know off the top of their head.
Sheri L
Any chance you could glue and clamp it on? Does it need to be removable later? If you're gluing MDF to melamine or formica like substance, I'd suggest epoxy. How about confirmat screws (made for MDF and quite strong)? They make little plastic buttons that just insert into the flush screw heads, look fairly good. There's usually more than one way to "skin a cat" (a non-politically correct expression, I bet).
On 21 Apr 2005 18:56:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Thanks gp, will keep the glue idea in mind, but I don't know about MDF and melamine and all that, it's just particle board? As I said I'm sure to find the brackets sooner or later. But that's a good idea if I don't.
Sheri L

<snip of woeful tale>

Hardware store, buy a few screws and a length of 1/2" aluminum angle, make as many or as long as you need.
--
Nahmie
posted:

Thanks anyway Norm, too much work and tool expense for $1.79 parts, just wait for my next woeful tale. <G>
Sheri L
Wouln't it just be simpler to drill the face of the particle board and the back of the trim board and glue dowels in to hold them together
Failing that if the geometry of the peices mating is solid enough how about a set of small hinges just to make the attachment.

posted:

Sheri L
Sheri L wrote: ...

Well, you spent $15 and won't spend another couple bucks and 20-30 minutes but waste hours here and elsewhere on the net?
Doesn't compute to me... :(
posted:

No Duane it was only $5, I will gladly spend another couple bucks for the part I need, even pay the shipping if not local, but $35+ for a $2 thing, that is what 'does not compute' to me. And I just have betetr things to buy than buy a trunk load full of shop tools that won't ever get use again.
Sheri L
Sheri L wrote:

Well, if you don't/won't look at it as an investment for the future to allow you to save the repetitive cost of minor home repair and consider that type of expense money well spent, then you <do> miss the point...
posted:

Hi Duane,
<YOU> miss the point. I don't do home repair, that's what the landlord isthere for.
Sheri L

I bet you've let him know it too.

the reopairs, and first I did a whole lot of stuff with my friend Lillian. Replaced siding and everything. And nothing big has busted.
But he always asks if I need anything done, so why I should tell him no when he wants to do it?
Sheri L

*sigh* I'm remembering what Thumper's dad told him in that cartoon "Bambi".
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
posted:

Why would you have something not nice to say when someone just asks where to find something or if they have a proper 'lingo' name?
And if you didn't have anything to say then why did you post here at all?

Oh I will find one sooner or later. Spending $35+ to make a $2 part must be a male thing I guess.
Sheri L