I don't get it, why is metric better?

Page 15 of 16
On 8/6/2016 3:46 PM, notbob wrote:

I was able to lern temperature quickly. We rented a villa in Italy in March. The owner said he'd program the thermostat for us before he left. He asked if 14 was Ok. I nodded yes. Next morning I learned to convert and set it for 20.
On 8/6/2016 2:43 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I have. :~)

Sure, there are times when I only had an hour to do something that would have been much easier to do in 100 minutes. ;-)
On 8/6/2016 8:31 AM, dpb wrote:

Yeah!
On 8/6/2016 7:31 AM, dpb wrote:

I still think fear and a certain stubbornness are the main factors. "Independence" is just used to disguise them. Graham
On 8/6/2016 4:45 PM, graham wrote:

I think you are wrong. ;~)
On 08/06/2016 4:51 PM, Leon wrote:

+1

On 8/7/2016 7:37 AM, dpb wrote:

Not "+1.00"?
On 08/07/2016 11:57 AM, graham wrote:

No, 1 - 0/32 :)

On 8/7/2016 12:07 PM, dpb wrote:

Now you have cut out 90% of the world and they will not understand that. LOL

This'll throw another percent or three: 1" -0/32"+1/16"
Puckdropper
On 8/7/2016 11:57 AM, graham wrote:

No +1 says it all. +1.00 simply says the same thing with more numbers. ;~)
On 8/7/2016 11:52 AM, Leon wrote:

> +1 implies accuracy to one significant digit. +1.00 implies accuracy to three significant digits.
On 08/08/2016 4:38 AM, Just Wondering wrote: ...

1 is an integer and is therefore infinitely precise...

Only if it's defined to be an integer (this is a common source of error in computer programming - if you mix integer variables and floating point variables you'll find that 1 != 1).
John
On 08/08/2016 9:16 AM, John McCoy wrote: ...

Not likely, even in languages which are strongly typed, and certainly not for unity...integers are stored exactly under IEEE-754 until their magnitude overflows precision which for a double is ~15 decimal digits.
1.0+eps(1) may not == 1, true, but that's not the same thing.

Unfortunately very likely, and, as I said, a common source of error.
While IEEE-754 defines an exact floating point equivalent for integers, not everything abides by IEEE-754. So while your PC is likely to get int 1 == float 1.0 correct, an embedded processor (like the one in your cell phone) may not.
Mixing ints and floats gets a lot of programmers that are new to embedded processors in trouble.
John
On 08/08/2016 2:01 PM, John McCoy wrote: ...

Which is again yet an entirely different problem (and certainly even raising floating point in the thread is/was totally a red herring).
But, it goes w/o saying, GIGO as far as results.

snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

98 percent of cell phones use some variant of the ARM, and ARM uses IEEE-754 floating point.
On 8/8/2016 7:11 AM, dpb wrote:

Only when counting objects, not when measuring. You can have precisely two boards, but it is highly unlikely that you would have a board that is "infinitely precisely" two yards long. Q. How long is a 72 1/2 inch board to the nearest yard? A. 2 yards. 2 yards is NOT an infinitely precise measure of the board. To three significant digits, the board is 2.01 yards long.