I don't get it, why is metric better?

_I_ was the poster, _I_ KNOW I posted an integer "1"

Reply to
dpb

(Huge sigh). Y'all have gone far afield. J. Clarke wondered if the metric system is why European students do better than Americans on math tests. [Do they really?] L Blanchard replied "Absolutely! Other students do not have to deal with fractions."

I only wrote the math problem to illustrate that the metric system does not free students from dealing with fractions.

Now you guys are sounding like this: :)

Just Wondering

OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware) dispenses 12oz glass bottles of coke (hecho en mexico - so real sugar) from a machine at the local store.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Integers are not much use when measuring stuff.

Reply to
Just Wondering

On 08/08/2016 11:46 AM, dpb wrote: ...

And today's pretty typical -- is a beginings for a day in which our chances are somewhat minimal but nonzero...as I post this around 4PM there's a batch getting started east of Trinidad along the NM/CO border drifting east across Las Animas County...we'll see if tonight's our night or (probably) not...but we can hope.

Reply to
dpb

Immaterial. It was/is counting. I should know, I was the poster...

Reply to
dpb

On 08/07/2016 11:06 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

Granted, one sees stuff like that a lot on internet stores...I had a heckuva time figuring out the thread diameter/pitch when trying to order a replacement sight glass for a little HF air compressor. Turns out it appears the threads in the casting are 3/4" NPT because a standard pipe plug will not leak but I've tried four different sight glasses and not a one will seat tightly enough to not leak. Hence, I drilled/tapped a

3/4" plug with a 1/8" NPT offset where the bottom is at the mid-point and now have a level check! :)

But the key there is mostly _you're_ choosing which to use for specific purposes; the argument (at least mine) against is mandated changing of "ordinary" day-to-day-living things just for the sake of doing so. I have no quarrel against what anybody chooses to use; I do resent the thought of US bureaucrats in DC using threats of cutting of federal hiway dollars to states to force compliance in change road signs, for example.

Reply to
dpb

Glass or plastic, we no longer see soda bottle vending machines, like we used to. I actually recall a few in odd places.

Reply to
Leon

sorry, I only now realized you did not say repeating decimal "points" ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On 08/08/2016 4:52 PM, Leon wrote: ...

There are a couple stashed in offices around town I recall altho like the one you mentioned I think it's been probably 20 yr since they were anything more than "yard art". There's one of the chest types still on the showroom floor at the Chebby dealership but it's under about 3" of dust and old catalogs now... :)

Glass is pretty much a bygone; cleaning and recycling is just too expensive. About all I see any more are imports coming up from Mexico by the immigrant population bringing them back -- they're popular mostly because as somebody else noted elsethread they're mostly sugar-based with less fructose. (Some claim can tell by taste; the double-blind tests I've done similar to Sir Fisher's on the lady serving tea as to whether the milk was added first or later were unable to show a statistically-demonstrated case it was true for most).

Reply to
dpb

But most likely 1 lb means 1 lb.

Either way,

We were talking about +1 to a statement, not apples.

Reply to
Leon

Actually I made the, do not have to deal with fractions comment.

Perhaps, but the original answer was not in final form as taught in school, when I was in school. It would have been graded as wrong for not reducing.

Reply to
Leon

Wow, I doubt, given my answer and your answer, your calculus instructor would agree with you. Take you answer out of context and yes he would.

But If you can't understand that my answer is precisely correct it may say a lot about your instructor or what you actually got out of that class.

FWIW referencing another source means nothing if your answer is still wrong.

Reply to
Leon

Scratching my head and thinking back a bit, I do actually recall, recently, a plastic bottle vending machine, IIRC it took dollar bills.

But I was thinking where you put the money in a grab the bottle from a slot. The few recent ones I recall drop the soda or water much like a bag of chips is dropped and then you reach inside, to the bottom, through a spring loaded door.

I normally see these outside restrooms at shopping malls.

Reply to
Leon

dpb wrote in news:noakh7$cft$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Gonna guess the "hoo" in that case was the burial mound itself.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

dpb wrote in news:noals4$hk3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

This (the replacement of coal by natural gas in electric generation) is very reminiscent of the replacement of steam locomotives by diesels in the 50's. Basically, given the labor of shipping it, preparing it for use, and disposing of the ashes, coal has to be much cheaper than natural gas (now) or diesel (then).

With natural gas looking to be cheap for the forseeable future, it seems unlikely coal will ever be economical again, just like it wasn't for locomotives.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

notbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Not really. Assume an apple is the elementary unit of appleness. All you need to know is the mass of an apple, then you can figure the mass of 6.022e23 of them, and divide that into 40kg to find what fraction of a mole it is.

It'll be a tiny number :-)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Just Wondering wrote in news:FU5qz.25229$9y5.3396 @fx44.iad:

But we're having fun doing it!

John

Reply to
John McCoy

graham wrote in news:noaked$c68$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Funny how small the world is, sometimes.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Interesting. Around here can vending machines have pretty much completely disappeared. It's all plastic bottles. I kind of think it's because so many people want things other than soda, and you can put water, or juice, or other things that don't usually come in cans into them.

John

Reply to
John McCoy