I don't get it, why is metric better?

I went to a Calgary Hi-Fi store a few years ago and during the conversation, the salesman mentioned that he'd lived in the UK as a boy when his Canadian mother married an Englishman. I asked him where he'd lived and saying that I'd probably never heard of the place, he said Capel St.Mary! Not only that, he'd been a playmate of my nephew! Graham

Reply to
graham

LOL! That's what I thought and was looking for some help. :-)

Reply to
gray_wolf

Yes but are there known isotopes?

Reply to
gray_wolf

I wager that you've never seen 1 lb of anything. When people say 1 lb, they don't mean precisely 1 lb, they actually mean

1 lb plus or minus some amount that might be miniscule but is never zero. In the real world, measuring out precisely 1 lb of anything is impossible. 0.9999999 lb. is not 1 lb, nor is 1.0000001 lb - although both are near enough for all practical purposes.

Actually, "+1" vs "+1.00" was tossed out as an abstraction with no context. But context IS relevant. I provided one context, apparently now you want to concoct a different context just for the sake of being contrary.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Someone said that the most successful countries used imperial.

Reply to
gray_wolf

FWIW some time ago a Russian math said that the imperial people were better at doing mental calculations than the metric folks. I wonder if working with fractions could have contributed to that.

Reply to
gray_wolf

On 08/08/2016 5:30 PM, John McCoy wrote: ...

It's not the coal that's the costly part, it's all the added regulatory burdens added specifically to price it out.

OTOH, while NG is currently in abundance my personal feeling is that is going to be temporary and go away much more quickly than is envisioned generally at the moment and "then you'll be sorry!" we've wasted so much of what is in the end far more valuable as a home heating fuel, feedstock for chemical processes, etc., etc., etc., than to waste on central-station generation.

Reply to
dpb

Perhaps, but if so, that one hasn't made it to the list of tourist attractions... :) None of the locals I could find including curators at various museums, etc., had a clue as to the origin of the name.

Reply to
dpb

On 08/08/2016 6:39 PM, Just Wondering wrote: ...

ACTUALLY, the '+1' _IS/WAS_ a counter; the followup '1.00' was a jest and you've turned it into a trolling opportunity...

Reply to
dpb

On 08/08/2016 6:33 PM, gray_wolf wrote: ...

You can try

Reply to
dpb

Actually you took of to left field with it. I simply stated that +1 was enough to get the message across.

Reply to
Leon

You don't have to take someone's word for it, just look at the facts.

Reply to
Leon

Ok,,,,

the number of worms + X

Reply to
Leon

Well sure, you have a few things to remember. The metric folks are having to remember where the decimal point goes on nearly every number or suffix that number with a different resolution of meter when multiplying or dividing.

It is much easier to divide 1 by 3, 1/3,

than with the metric system where you end up with .333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 and that still is not as accurate of an answer as 1/3. ;~)

Metric is easier but not always infinitely as accurate.

And that was an easy one. Still easy for imperial, 8 divided by 7.

Answer, 1 & 1/7.

Metric answer, something like 1.142857142857..... And you need a calculator for that.

Using fractions in measurements insures absolute accuracy.

Reply to
Leon

Real Coke is available in one of the local high-end grocery stores, here, too. Coke has reintroduced it, also, so you don't have to drink illegal Coke.

Reply to
krw

I see them (plastic) quite often.

Reply to
krw

...and credit cards.

Yeah, now a robot grabs the bottle from the rack and drops it into a basket.

Reply to
krw

Except 1 foot could be 11.8 inches or 12.2 inches, where 1.0 ft could only be as far off as something like 11.92 to 12.09 inches if no other tolerance is stated. 1 foot +.0.12"/-0 limits the part to 12.00 inches to 12.12 inches. Leave off the " and it can be up to 13.44 inches.

Reply to
clare

And it makes things a bit more tidy. :-) I recall reading somewhere that some draftsmen used mm and nothing else in building even big things like ships and locomotives to eliminate the error of a misplaced decimal point.

Reply to
gray_wolf

Cute! Quite an imagination he has.

Reply to