I don't get it, why is metric better?

graham wrote in news:no8p4l$q23$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Unless you're from Essex, like me, in which case it's pronounced "silly Suffu_k".

(there's probably some historical reason, likely dating to the middle ages, for that; but no-one ever explained it to me).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

As is yers: 30 kg / 7 kg = 4.286 kg.

What? No one here has a decent calculator? Howzabout the computer yer on? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yes, I understand this. This was required in my formal drafting classes.

Reply to
Leon

But what color truck??? lol

Reply to
Leon

dpb wrote in news:noa0e8$2o2$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Only if it's defined to be an integer (this is a common source of error in computer programming - if you mix integer variables and floating point variables you'll find that 1 != 1).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Can't say. All I'm sure of, it's not a "foad". ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

On 08/08/2016 9:16 AM, John McCoy wrote: ...

Not likely, even in languages which are strongly typed, and certainly not for unity...integers are stored exactly under IEEE-754 until their magnitude overflows precision which for a double is ~15 decimal digits.

1.0+eps(1) may not == 1, true, but that's not the same thing.
Reply to
dpb

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Auto industry did, for sure, maybe some others. The tech industries were a little slower.

Carter's budget actually was pretty good in that regard, as a percentage of GDP he kept the debt pretty much constant (due to inflation the value in dollars went up, but for the same reason the GDP went up too).

Reagan was really the one who started the debt problem, since debt as a percentage of GDP nearly doubled during his years. Granted, he did solve the problem of inflation and economic stagnation, but one has to wonder (with hindsight) if the fix wasn't worse than the problem.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Well to be accurately equal you answer is slightly wrong too.

7 x 4.286 = 30.002 To get the correct eqaual answer you have to use a fraction.
Reply to
Leon

Who needs a calculator...doesn't everybody know the repeating fraction for seventh's??? :)

1/7 = 0.1412857... 2/7 = 0.28857142857... 3/7 = 0.42857142857...

etc., etc., ...

(From a former life wherein there were 7-high axial incore detectors in the reactor for power distribution measurements and hence interpolating functions and such used the ratios interminably...)

Reply to
dpb

"Silly" is a corruption of "saelig", which means "blessed". BTW, where in Essex?

Reply to
graham

On 08/08/2016 8:58 AM, Leon wrote: ...

But if'fen he's going to make piles of equal weight, he's going to either have to have some very specifically-sized apples or a knife! :)

Reply to
dpb

His "fix" was to reduce taxes that resulted in the increased debt.

Reply to
graham

On 08/08/2016 9:13 AM, Leon wrote: ...

And I figured (really knew) so...

Reply to
dpb

;~) My previous profession was in automotive management.

Automotive was probably first because many American cars were built/assembled in Canada and those cars were a mix of measurements standards. Metric for those parts manufactured in Canada and non metric for those assemblies that were shipped to Canada to build the vehicle.

Reply to
Leon

;~) And here we sit on the computer when I should be out, during the cool part of the day, working on an almost complete job. 92 degrees so far.

Reply to
Leon

On 08/08/2016 9:42 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Ditto, altho I have the excuse of working w/ the broker on getting a granddaughter's fall 529A payment in the works for fall semester...

We had a little front thru; yesterday was only in upper 80s and just to be barely 90 today. But 100's back by midweek until another front late week they say...things are in a lull on farm at moment; wheat's over, milo and corn still few weeks away. We are getting ready to hay some of the native grass but it's too damp and still chances of showers so we'll wait 'til a stretch of dry before laying it down...

Reply to
dpb

That too..... LOL

Reply to
Leon

On 08/08/2016 9:33 AM, dpb wrote: ...

... Dang typos...

Reply to
dpb

Do you normally begin to get fronts this time of year?

I actually heard about the front and that we may feel effects of it later this week early next week. Hi's to only reach low 90's, but if we get a north wind the humidity goes down and it feels better. It is unusual to feel the effects of a front before late September.

We normally are in the low 90's in May but this year we had the 30"+ of rain from the middle of April to about mid June and temps stayed unseasonably low. And then the normal cycle hit suddenly and it has been tough acclimatizing. Add to that the normally dry flood reservoirs being like lakes and adding to the humidity. BUT, we have only hit 100 a couple of times, I think.

Reply to
Leon