I disagree

Page 2 of 2
On 9/11/2015 9:29 AM, Bill wrote:

Same goes with a regular blade. Both a dado blade and the suggested bit for making the drawer joints are unnecessary. Both are more expensive options for doing the same thing that can be done with regular blade.
Lots of the woodworker media focused on getting

And do you think that this is exclusive to the woodworking industry? ;~) Simply put, there are better mouse traps and you choose whether you want to spend extra money and use it or not. I used to cut a lot of dado's with a regular saw blade or with my dado jig and router. The dado blade simply speeds up production for cutting dado's or groves. The bit that Lew is talking about speeds up making locking miters over using a dado set.
Some folks see the infomercial and say, "I need

Agreed. But a good comparison is using a bench top mortiser, $250, or a Festool Domino, $900. The mortiser will do the job but the Domino does the job maybe 20 times faster. I have cut in excess of 10,000 mortises with my Domino, I very seriously doubt that many have done the same with the mortiser that they may own.
If it ever gets out that the most important part of

On 9/11/2015 12:35 PM, Leon wrote:

My thought is $40 is cheap and as you say, it speeds up and/or simplifies the process, at least for amateurs such as myself.

If simplifies the process such that I don't make as many mistakes, it's worth a *lot* more than $40. Fast is also good. I have a far more discretionary dollars than discretionary hours.
On 9/11/2015 8:15 AM, Leon wrote:

> Has anyone ever just used a stack of standard blades as a dado blade?
On 9/11/2015 4:33 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Certainly someone has but dado blades are unique. There is certainly a left and a right side and the chippers cut a flat bottom, at least this true with quality sets. Just another reason to use a better solution rather than what you can get by with.