I did *exactly* what I told myself not to do and split a piece of wood.

and also raised the top shelf so that it is flush with the top of the side slats. (It's a nightstand for my daughter's college apartment)

he slats. Being so close to the end of the slats introduced a lot of potent ial for splitting. Of course, I pre-drilled and countersunk for the screws.

on, be damn sure the screw gun is set to extract the screw, not drive it in further."

helf, I noticed that 1 (one!) slat was not fully seated against the top she lf. Simple fix: remove the screw, clamp the slat to the shelf and carefully drive the screw back in. Easy peazy.

d, splitting the slat.

table is still set up the same so the round overs will be easy to match. Th en there's the finish sanding. I thought I was done!

exactly* what I warned myself not to do really sucks!

That is why I keep "glue injectors" (really just a large hypodermic needle) around the shop. It gets glue down in those really hard to reach places. A good hand screw and you are in business. As John McCoy said, "The repai r is practically invisible."

Reply to
Dr. Deb

ed and also raised the top shelf so that it is flush with the top of the si de slats. (It's a nightstand for my daughter's college apartment)

the slats. Being so close to the end of the slats introduced a lot of pote ntial for splitting. Of course, I pre-drilled and countersunk for the screw s.

ason, be damn sure the screw gun is set to extract the screw, not drive it in further."

shelf, I noticed that 1 (one!) slat was not fully seated against the top s helf. Simple fix: remove the screw, clamp the slat to the shelf and careful ly drive the screw back in. Easy peazy.

ood, splitting the slat.

r table is still set up the same so the round overs will be easy to match. Then there's the finish sanding. I thought I was done!

*exactly* what I warned myself not to do really sucks!

e) around the shop. It gets glue down in those really hard to reach places . A good hand screw and you are in business. As John McCoy said, "The rep air is practically invisible."

As I mentioned in a later response, I applied a Jorgensen clamp and it took a considerable amount of clamping pressue to close the split. Even after I did that the split was no where near "practically invisible". I assume the re was more stress in that section of wood than normal which may have accou nted for some of the split in the first place.

I have already made and install a new slat. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, some times when wood does more than split in one spot the splinters can rearrange themselves and for some reason they don't want to fall back in place.

Reply to
Leon