I did *exactly* what I told myself not to do and split a piece of wood.

Page 2 of 2
On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 1:27:18 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

slats. (It's a nightstand for my daughter's college apartment)

ial for splitting. Of course, I pre-drilled and countersunk for the screws.

further."

lf. Simple fix: remove the screw, clamp the slat to the shelf and carefully drive the screw back in. Easy peazy.

en there's the finish sanding. I thought I was done!

That is why I keep "glue injectors" (really just a large hypodermic needle) around the shop. It gets glue down in those really hard to reach places. A good hand screw and you are in business. As John McCoy said, "The repai r is practically invisible."
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 6:53:44 AM UTC-4, Dr. Deb wrote:

de slats. (It's a nightstand for my daughter's college apartment)

ntial for splitting. Of course, I pre-drilled and countersunk for the screw s.

in further."

helf. Simple fix: remove the screw, clamp the slat to the shelf and careful ly drive the screw back in. Easy peazy.

Then there's the finish sanding. I thought I was done!

. A good hand screw and you are in business. As John McCoy said, "The rep air is practically invisible."
As I mentioned in a later response, I applied a Jorgensen clamp and it took a considerable amount of clamping pressue to close the split. Even after I did that the split was no where near "practically invisible". I assume the re was more stress in that section of wood than normal which may have accou nted for some of the split in the first place.
I have already made and install a new slat. Thanks anyway.
On 7/28/2015 6:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yeah, some times when wood does more than split in one spot the splinters can rearrange themselves and for some reason they don't want to fall back in place.