HVLP Poly and nicks

Hi,
Unable to eliminate brush strokes (tried both foam and regular), I opted to buy an HVLP spayer and was excited to see just how fast and easy it was to apply a smooth finish of oil based poly.
However, when installing the trim I sprayed, I found the finish was very prone to chipping and peeling at even the slightest nick.
Has anyone had similar problems? Is there something I'm not doing correctly?
Thanks!
Shaun

Possibly, you put on one or more coats that were too thick. Best way to avoid that is to thin them down and then apply a number of coats.