Hummm LeeValley screws up and does not make good.

Page 3 of 5

Actually with this Lee Valley order I got the print "Receipt" button on the receipt/confirmation number page after clicking the place order button.
I have to ask, would you think the order was accepted after all of that?
Seriously, What more conformation should I have been looking for?
Anyway I described the steps I went through and they confirmed that after I got to the print receipt page with the confirmation number there were no more steps/clicks to be made, the transaction was complete.
Computers are not infallible, the first two reps at LV don't seem to realize this. I simply wanted them to help me out since I chose them over Amazon because of their reputation and my past experiences. I allowed extra lead time as shipping from Canada to Texas is a few days slower than ordering from Amazon.
wrote in message

Absolutely.

Only the email acknowledgement but I don't spend much time looking for those myself; if one didn't show up, I probably wouldn't even notice.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 8/7/2013 12:09 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Then he would not have gotten a confirmation, since the time out would have removed his session info stored on the webserver. Hence they would have lost the info on him... So they would not have sent him the confirmation... So that is a normal system...

--
Jeff

Well shipping is another matter, LV has no control after the carrier takes possession of the shipment. I certainly would not expect LV to cover the shippers mistake. But if LV takes my order and does nothing with it for 5 days and when I follow up on the order they know nothing of it and indicate that the receipt and confirmation number that they issued was never generated, I would expect them to step up and right the wrong.
NO BIG DEAL FOR ME. I reordered from Amazon at almost exactly the same price and it should arrive much sooner than replacing the order with LV.

I did not get upset with any one with LV. I simply asked if they could get the order to me within the same time constraints of the original order with out it costing me more money. This order in fact is going to be sold to my customer at my cost and I have already quoted a price. I am not about to change her price because LV screwed up, that makes me look bad. Fortunately I plan for situations like these and had plan B in place. FWIW I don't normally sell at cost but this was an add on to a piece that I am building for her.
Why have I vented here? I certainly am not advocating that anyone take their business elsewhere. I am only telling about my last experience and it would be prudent on a time sensitive order to follow up ASAP whether you get a receipt and confirmation number on the order or not. Apparently that bit of information give by LV is not a certainty that they will ship your order.
If I were Robin Lee I would most certainly want to know why my customers are being issued receipts and order confirmation orders and my employees blaming my customers for not doing something right instead of looking into what is going wrong with the billing system.

Most likely they hired an MBA who has been taught to spend $5 to save a nickel and piss everyone off as he has no clue about customer service.
Mike M
On 8/6/2013 6:36 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I am one of those that would say that does not sound like LV either.
I had ordered 3

The person was courteous but not helpful in solving the problem with out it costing me more money for faster delivery. The email rubber stamp response kinda got my attention. Obviously rubber stamped since it did not acknowledge that I mentioned that I had a receipt and confirmation number.

On 8/6/2013 11:44 AM, Leon wrote:

How did you cancel an order they had no record of. If you had a reciept and conf they should have accepted that forwarded and done right.
If they didn't shame on them... another good company gone bad...
--
Jeff

On 8/6/2013 11:38 AM, woodchucker wrote:

The rep began the order process over again while I was talking to him. I canceled this particular order after learning that my shipping charges were going to more than triple to get the order in about the same time frame as the original order.

That was my expectation, I sent them a copy of the receipt after they in so many words indicated that maybe I had no such receipt.

I don't think it is another company gone bad, I think they should have gone further to see what was wrong with their system loosing the order instead of saying that I took too long to accept the details of the order. I got a freaking receipt and order number. I think I pushed the buttons fast enough. ;~)
Here's a case of a low-level clerk with little or no understanding of the value of customer satisfaction. When I come up against this kind of stuff, I always ask to speak to the supervisor. I usually get a satisfactory resolution.
Larry
On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 10:44:27 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

On 8/6/2013 11:57 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:

You are probably right but FWIW I followed up with an e-mail and this is the response that I got and my response
Original e-mail.
-----Original Message----- From: Leon Bridges [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net] Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 11:56 AM To: Lee Valley Service Subject: Customer Web Site Inquiry
Not happy with my latest on-line order that has been lost before it was shipped and the solution offered by your rep on the telephone.
August 1 I placed an order for 60, 99K3103 magnets. I got a receipt and order number 28821112. I would be glad to send a copy of the confirmation receipt.
Following up on the order this morning you have no record of the order. This was a time sensitive order that needed to be received with in two weeks at the latest. Typically I have been able to count on this time frame. Your rep offered to charge me an addition normal upgraded shipping charge to resubmit and ship the order again.
This is a Lee Valley error, I felt that I should not have to pay extra for expedited shipping to correct this error. I declined to replace the order.
Leon Bridges
They Responded,
On 8/6/2013 11:10 AM, Lee Valley Service wrote: > Thank you for your e-mail. We checked our system and as the phone representative stated we did not receive a recent order from you nor does the order # 28821112 exist in our system. > > Please be aware that when you get to the final payment screen on our website, this makes a quick connection to our sales system so that your total can be calculated, and this is when an order number is assigned. If there is an error with an order placed online, for example: the credit card and/or expiry date are not entered correctly, a customer takes too long to place their order when in the Checkout process or there is any break in the network connection between your system and ours from that time to when you complete your order and it tries to transmit through to us, then it may not complete the transmission to us. The order is then considered incomplete and placed in an error batch which is automatically deleted from our system. This is what happened to your order. Our system is set up this way to avoid incomplete orders from bogging it down. > > Note that when an order is successfully placed online, the customer will receive an "Order Confirmation" e-mail within minutes after sending the order to us stating that we have received your order. The customer will also receive a "Shipping Confirmation" e-mail within 48 hours of placing the order stating the order has been shipped. If you do not receive these confirmations, it means we have not received the order. > > Regards, > Caroline Brisson > Internet Customer Service Representative
And so far I have responded to the above response with,
Regardless of what you think may have happened, please see attached confirmation receipt, if this is not good enough to prove that I did every thing necessary to insure that my order was effectively placed, your system has a flaw. Once I get a receipt I should not have to wonder if the order went through or not.
Leon Bridges
On 8/6/2013 12:03 PM, Leon wrote:

That sure does not sound like the Lee Valley of yore.
Too many numbnut Millennials?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/6/2013 12:15 PM, Swingman wrote:

LOL Exactly, Our system does not indicate that it issued a confirmation number and receipt therefore it could not have happened, you must have had a senior moment and imagined all of this.

Agreed. Lee Valley lives and dies on its reputation for customer service.
If Leon has not already done so, he should be sending one or more complaints to something above general customer service.

snip

That is a horrible response from LV. It should have been:
"I'm terribly sorry about your experience and will certainly investigate what happened in our system.
While we obviously did not ship your order in time, I am taking the liberty of sending you a gift card in the full amount of your order as some small compensation.
Again, my sincere apologies, and my thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Sincerely,
Really Good Customer Service Rep"
djb
--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
On 8/6/2013 11:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Very odd, they have always done good by me, I regularly order on line for an in store pickup (saves the line ups), always get the confirmation, then the pickup notice usually arrives shortly after the store opens, since I often order late at night. Then a ten minute drive, pick it up at the pickup counter, and a ten minute drive back home.
--
Froz...

On 8/6/2013 12:24 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I have always been happy with Lee Valley in fact I send my customers to their site to pick out hardware for the furniture that I design and build for them. I let them save by bypassing me and ordering direct from LeeValley.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-rare-earth-magnets-67488.html
http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid 04384&d69242224
http://slickdeals.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid !39350&d75477546
On 8/6/2013 12:44 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Those are cheap/inexpensive but unfortunately considerable smaller than the 1/2" x 1/8" maginets that I need.

Lee Valley Tools Ltd. Attn: Robin Lee P.O. Box 1780 Ogdensburg, NY 13669-6780

Just out of curiosity, was your credit card charged?