How to Clean Wood Glue?

Page 2 of 2

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Maybe. If you are thorough and careful. Obviously, the glue has to be still liquid. If it has dried, scraping works best for me. Or shaving it off with a sharp chisel.
If you are talking about squeeze out from joints rather than just having inadvertantly slopped some somewhere, a chisel/scraper is the way to go IMO. After it is dry it has shrunk, is hard and comes off easily with the chisel. There should be just tiny beads...if you have lots of squeeze out you are using too much glue.
The trouble with using water to remove squeeze out is that one tends to push it around and leave a tiny bit in the grain and that residual glue is hard to get off when dry and messes up the finishing. If the wood has been finished before gluing the joint (I often do so) water, paper towels and a scraper made of hardwood work pretty well.

For years I have had success with using a paper towel that is almost dripping wet. If you get enough water on there it glue will wash away. Turn the towel frequently.
I will echo the wet towel method, sloppy wet and use lots of towels.
If talking squeeze out from joints, better way is blue painters tape on the wood, let the squeeze out get on the tape instead of on the wood
John
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:33:09 GMT, "Leon"

When I dry fit the pieces, I'll wipe on a coat of paste wax (some can of Minwax I've had for a decade) around the joints. Does not take very long and makes glue removal a snap. As I almost always use a tung/poly or linseed/poly mix for finish the wax does not interfere with the finish.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

You have to be careful with with method. Some Oil/varnish aren't compatible.You might find the wax doesn't disolve if the mineral spirits aren't in high enough concentration.