How do you go about finding out what a client really wants?

Tue, Nov 2, 2004, 5:30am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@dontemailme.com (Leuf) I was making things more complicated than they needed to be.

Told ya so. Most people do.

JOAT When you choose an action, you choose the consequences.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Nice.... the leaves make it "New England" in the fall.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

get her to sign a printout of your pattern and mail it to you with her deposit check. also let her know that any design changes after you start production will cost her something. this is what i have to do when designing and producing stained glass projects. otherwise the customer keeps coming up with changes in pattern or color, and you're trying to hit a moving target.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

what's worse is making something, giving it as a gift, then getting it back as a gift later because they forgot that you gave it to them... painful!!

Reply to
mac davis

Took the words right out of my.. umm... keyboard...

It's been my experience that things are more valuable to people if they're hand made and individual.. their personal 1-of-a-kind item to keep or give..

Reply to
mac davis

Good solution and good job... You could have been more professional in your proposal, but IMHO, informal is better if you want "artisan" prices, professional is great for bulk or volume items.. Like most things in life, it's the selling as much as the quality that makes people feel good about the decision to use you, and referrals follow..

Reply to
mac davis

I try to use the old KISS method.... "Keep It Simple, Stupid!"

Reply to
mac davis

I agree that it could have been more professional, but I tried to do it as if she were in the room as a sketch to further discussion, with the intent to follow up with a more formal drawing. It doesn't appear that will be necessary, though I think I will go through the process just for my own sake.

Interesting comment about the process being different for "arty" work. I'd just gone looking at some websites with jewelry boxes and stumbled across this one site where I read, "Peruse my web-site, and see what truly fine woodworking can be. (Woodworkers will likely learn a thing or two.)" And on and on like that. If that's what being an "artisan" leads to I think I'll aim for glorified carpenter instead. Though actually the guy's prices were reasonable, go figure.

I think it's a skill that needs to be developed along with your technical skills. I guess it comes naturally to some people. My parents are building a new house and in talking with the builder within 2 minutes you know you want to work with the guy. I tried to just pay attention to him and learn a few things.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I was always interested in what potential customers already had.

Most of them already have some design boundaries set up, even if they don't know it.

Then I wanted to know where it would go. That can tell you a lot.

Then I wanted to know what it would be used for.

Then I wanted to know how much it should cost.

It was at this point that the conversation usually ended.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Leuf.. I think we're coming from the same direction, I just didn't explain what I meant by artisan prices.. I was thinking more of how you want the client to perceive your work than how you/we do... folks just pay more for something made by an artist... and to someone like me or to a client, the skill level and talent to make a good jewelry box (which I hope to develop) is an art... When you do or know something well, you tend to take it for granted... like "doesn't everyone do this?"... but to folks that have never ripped a board on a power saw, what you do is damn near magic... and it helps your checkbook to let them believe that.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis