How difficult to make

Page 1 of 2
This table would be perfect for my small dining area. The price is steep and therefore, wondered how difficult it would be to make. The hardest part I think is finding the extension mechanism/sliders. Any input?
http://www.resourcefurniture.com/space-savers/space-saving-tables/goliath
"Meanie" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------- Triple the amount of time and money you estimate it would take you to build this project.
If you still want to tackle the job, double that estimate and look again.
Lew
On 10/20/2012 2:27 PM, Meanie wrote:

That EXTRA long table extension is why the table is expensive. And as far as it reaches it needs to be made of top quality materials and specifications or else your table will sag under it's own weight, much more with something actually setting on it.
You may pay as much for that extension as the whole table.
What price do you consider steep?
"Leon" wrote in message
On 10/20/2012 2:27 PM, Meanie wrote:

That EXTRA long table extension is why the table is expensive. And as far as it reaches it needs to be made of top quality materials and specifications or else your table will sag under it's own weight, much more with something actually setting on it.

It starts at $9000
On Sat, 20 Oct 2012 18:40:37 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

be cheaper to add a room on to put a real table in, plus you got to keep chairs somewhere, stuck under a table is an excellent place.
basilisk

"basilisk" wrote in message

be cheaper to add a room on to put a real table in, plus you got to keep chairs somewhere, stuck under a table is an excellent place.
basilisk
No doubt and it doesn't even come with chairs. Though, it comes with 5 leafs and a wall mounted holder for them. Wooo hooo!

are starting at $12000. The other stuff reaches $20000 plus. It's all made in Europe and the space saving furniture is from a manufacturer called Grei or something like that, located in Italy. It's very cool looking stuff and facinating what they can do but those prices are completely outrageous.

Not if they are selling and making a profit. If I can make and sell one for $12,000, it is far better (for me) than making 12 that sell for $1000.
On 10/20/2012 5:34 PM, Meanie wrote:

Would you consider $3K too much? Materials and hardware are likely to cost that much.
Meanie wrote:

I'll make you one for $6,999. You pay shipping.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

If it's not patented, I'll make them one for $4,995, -including- delivery to the lower 48. Save $2,004 + s/h, Meanie!
-- EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY. --anon
Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE! --LJ

I'm sorry, but the cost of finish has gone up so much, we are unable to offer more than this FORTY FOUR POINT FIVE PERCENT DISCOUNT at this time. This offer expires 1nov12. Act now!
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools. -- Herbert Spencer

Make them out of wood. Those exposed zinc-plated drawer slides looked cheap.
snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in

I knew I got the SketchUp drawing from here. I was going to post it for him somewhere and I didn't know who to attribute. I'll make a note in the drawing so I know next time.
Thanks for your hard work. A very useful and detailed drawing. I'm sure an enormous amount of time and effort went into creating it. It's on my todo list...
Larry

Agreed. Excellent work.
Meanie wrote:

Do you really anticipate a need to seat eight people in your "small" dining area?
On folding chairs?
The only time I can see that happening is at Thanksgiving when you've got a passel of kids participating in the meal. At that time, a couple of WalMart folding card tables should sufficiently serve.

and yes, Thanksgiving would be the only time we seat that many but no kids.
While you're pondering your decision on building that table, you can just keep a sheet of plywood and a pair of folding sawhorses in the room.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in

I've had one of those set up in the garage for years. It works great as a catch-all, but if you add a decent border around the edge of the plywood it'll hold up (straight) for years. If you need "class", throw a table cloth over it.
:-)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.