How About That

Page 2 of 3

I'll second the vote for Astraweb. If you post text and don't download a lot of binaries, the 120 gig they give you for $25 will last you forever. Access is consistently fast and reliable.
Their support staff was as helpful as they could be when I contacted them about some trouble my former ISP* was causing.
*Wildblue users take note: If you get FAP'd NNTP access might not work at all!
Puckdropper
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in

I will attest to the good service Astraweb is giving. My $10 for 25GB has lasted for over a year and maybe I have by now used 1 GB of that.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I don't do many binaries, so my $10 - 25GB is still working after 4 1/2 years!! Get Astroweb!!
Tom J
Tom J wrote:

I'm becoming swayed...
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'd recommend Agent Premium News (APN) which is the creator of Forte Agent newsreader. I'm a heavy user, so I subscribe to their unlimited plan to cover all contingencies, but they do have an array of smaller plan options available. As to functionality, message retention times are excellent on APN. They have a 30 day no risk trial period.
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

I've had good luck with newsguy.com, evidentally $24 or $60 a year depending on whether you'd like 3 GB/month or 15GB/month. I'm on the latter since when I enrolled they didn't offer the first choice. Either way the cost is comparatively nothing compared to that of being a clamp collector...
Bill
I've been using APN for a few years and really like it.. About $3 a month for fast servers, great retention and I haven't had any server down-time.. http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
Has every newsgroup imaginable, including ABPW Oh.. no ads, restrictions, etc....

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yup. I second that APN suggestion.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Buy a block. Never expires, includes binaries, cheap, reliable. http://usenet-news.net /
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Your internet connection provider does not have to be your ISP. Here we have Comcast that handles the wires and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink provides Giganews as part of their fee.
In the alternative, I'm sure an upstanding group like Verizon will rebate part of your bill in return for the diminished service. With this rebate, you can surely afford even the most robust newsserver.
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 07:59:20 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Yeah, just like AT&T lowered our rates - NOT!. They politely explained that Newsgroup access had been a "free" service.
HeyBub wrote:
<snip>

Yeah, right. Part of the last sentence of their announcment reads, "there will not be any change to the price you pay for your Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet service." :-(
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
HeyBub wrote:

With the refund you can go to http://www.eternal-september.org/ and get all the text messages you want, forever. It will cost the entire refund you get from Verizon, same as my refund from Comcast.
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

And mine from AT&T. :-)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

    mahalo,     jo4hn

Supernews = Giganews they merged sometime ago.
Mark
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 04:20:05 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Bellsouth did the same in June. I found the following server will serve most, if not all, text-based Usenet needs.
news.eternal-september.org
It is free and you can use any newsgroup reader application.
There have been 12 responses.
AstraWeb received 4 votes.
Nothing else received more than 2 votes.
Since for $25, I probably get a lifetime supply (180 Gig) ands includes binaries, looks like a winner.
Thanks for the help.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Don't forget the 25GB for $10. More per gig, but less outlay at first.
--
Best regards
Han