How About That

Yeah, right. Part of the last sentence of their announcment reads, "there will not be any change to the price you pay for your Verizon High Speed Internet or Verizon FiOS Internet service." :-(

Reply to
Nova

Seconded.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I'm becoming swayed...

Reply to
Nova

I'd recommend Agent Premium News (APN) which is the creator of Forte Agent newsreader. I'm a heavy user, so I subscribe to their unlimited plan to cover all contingencies, but they do have an array of smaller plan options available. As to functionality, message retention times are excellent on APN. They have a 30 day no risk trial period.

Upscale

I use the 4.99 per month and never run out of bytes.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Nova wrote in news:lvcnm.655$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

I've read thousands of messages, loaded a couple dozen pictures, and have only scratched the surface of my 25 gig. Last I checked, it was

0.16 gig.

If you primarily read and reply to text-based groups, and don't do more than A.B.P.W. for binaries, it'll take you forever to use a gig of bandwidth.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Supernews = Giganews they merged sometime ago.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Only 0.16 GB? I take it you've skipped the "Edward" threads. (R,D&H)

Reply to
Nova

With Astroweb there is no usage for the headers in a thread, only for the message you click on and download to your computer.

I signed on to this group a week ago after a long absent and lost no band width catching up.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Not really necessary to skip the Edward thread to save bandwidth. All you have to do is filter Daneliuk's name and you'd never have a bandwidth issue, at least not in rec.woodworking.

Reply to
Upscale

The problem with filters is they don't work on the "fish".

Reply to
Nova

With the refund you can go to

and get all the text messages you want, forever. It will cost the entire refund you get from Verizon, same as my refund from Comcast.

Reply to
Jack Stein

And mine from AT&T. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Bellsouth did the same in June. I found the following server will serve most, if not all, text-based Usenet needs.

news.eternal-september.org

It is free and you can use any newsgroup reader application.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Tom J" wrote in news:kJSdneCj0Z- HFQDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I also signed with astraweb, after ATT dumped the newsgroups....25$ gets you 180 gigs of transfers, and they never expire....and they claim to keep everything anonymous, unlike other servers...they have complete uncensored content with almost 365 day retention.....

Hope this helps.....

DCH

Reply to
DCH

I'll second that. Server is at news.aioe.org. I've been happy with them, but no binaries.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

There have been 12 responses.

AstraWeb received 4 votes.

Nothing else received more than 2 votes.

Since for $25, I probably get a lifetime supply (180 Gig) ands includes binaries, looks like a winner.

Thanks for the help.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Welcome to the club.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:Irlnm.758$Jd7.694 @nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

Don't forget the 25GB for $10. More per gig, but less outlay at first.

Reply to
Han

Actually, news.eternal-september.org got three, but I don't blame you for picking AstraWeb. I went there myself last night and decided to go ahead and plunk down the $10 (had some surplus in my PayPal account) for the 25 gigs. That should last me quite a while, but I figure I can still use news.eternal-september.org (free!) for the text-only groups and AstraWeb for binaries, so as not to unnecessarily eat away at my 25 gigs.

Reply to
Steve Turner