Does wood glue (in bottle) die with age?

Sorry for what's certainly unimportant, but I have a bottle of Elmer's Wood Glue (which I've heard is roughly equivalent to Tite Bond and is more or less a good product

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Here is the Titebond answer on shelf life

seems they are saying as long as it is liquid. I especially like this statement

"Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable."

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Estimates for storage life vary from one year on up with most "experts" going for 2 years or so. Note the use of "experts" and "or so". My feeling is that if it's over a couple years old and you really care about your project, use a crowbar on your wallet and spend a few bucks for a new bottle. :-) jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

A 20 yr old (vintage) bottle of Elmer's Glue? That should fetch a pretty good price on E-Bay.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

But do you serve it with red meat or seafood?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It's white; obviously not w/ red meat... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Wow... no kidding. After 20 years even I wouldn't use it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If you moved a counter top appliance in your kitchen, one that does not get used much, the one that you thought would be cool to have but never actually use, and uncovered an old tooth pick, would you use it or throw it away?

Reply to
Leon

I don't know if the glue will be good after 20 years but the bottle might not be. I had a plastic quart bottle of Elmer's yellow in the garage for about 5 years and the glue seemed okay so I was going to try some on a small project. I was pouring some glue into a smaller container and dropped the quart bottle on the concrete floor. The plastic had turned brittle and just shattered. I instantly had glue everywhere.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Look on the bright side? :~) It hit the floor. Several months ago I dropped a quart can of gel varnish on top of my Delta Moriser. I had that crap all over the place too. I had to take the fan cover and fan off to get the gel out. And then wipe down every square inch of the mortiser with thinner.

Reply to
Leon

I use Elmer's Carpenters Wood glue. It does have a shelf life. Glue

20 years old probably would not be used on any furniture. Buy some fresh glue, and try not to buy a larger amount than you can use in a year or two. Keep cool, keep from freezing.

Maybe you can use the old glue to make some Silly Putty?

Phisherman

Look on the bright side, a while ago I dropped my bit set for my Akeda dovetail jig. Picture 7 router bits sticking up from a little plastic holder.

But I caught it.

But it was top heavy....

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

some testimonial.

Ok, ok. I'm beaten down----I'm giving up. I'll buy more. LOL...

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I've always used Elmer's wood glue, it is a good product. More important, I have a container of it that is at LEAST 20 years old and it works fine. It has thickened a bit but it's still yellow, just a little hard to get out of the bottle. Because of this, I bought a new bottle of the stuff because I never throw anything away... Still, I never had any glue joint fail using the old stuff.

If by WOT, you mean Way Off Topic, it is, but only if you think this is a political only group.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Love your reply. Dead nuts right on. How many cents are we talking about?

Reply to
burtwitlin

To some who must utilize every thing cents does not make a difference but how much is left. Is the bottle empty?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Dang, I had to parse that about three times before it made cents (sic).

Geez, how much patience do you have anyway?

I have a question: When are glue manufacturers going to take a cue from those few shampoo companies that make the upside-down bottles with flat "tops"? I don't even buy shampoo any more if it doesn't have that feature. I mean, how many hours of our lives have we wasted waiting for some gelatinous crap to come oozing out of those danged ol' "right-side up" bottles anyways?!*

  • (have I ever mentioned that "anyways" is always plural here in Texas?)
Reply to
Steve Turner

(woops, I forgot to pluralize the first occurrence!)

Reply to
Steve Turner