Hot rod table saw

Well, I guess all these companies putting TEFC motors in their saws are just wasting money, eh?

todd

Reply to
todd

The original poster was talking about a contractor's saw. Most of the dust drops to the floor, with some going out the back. Any accumulated dust on the motor is easily blown out, and because it's hanging out the back you can *see* the dust build-up.

In a cabinet saw, the motor is enclosed with all the dust flying around it, and you may forget about it getting dusty because you don't see it all the time. In that environment you'd certainly want a TEFC motor.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Not wasting their money, but not run for cover the sky is falling either. Would a TEFC motor be better? Yes. how much better? Damned if I could tell you! It often comes down to the money. Spend $150 for a open motor that may last

1/2 a century, or a TEFC motor, for twice the price, that may never need to be replaced. I know 50 years from now I won't care so I may be inclined to buy an open motor and let my children worry about it after they inherit the saw! My neighbor finally replaced the open motor on his Dad's Craftsman table saw a year or so ago. Same motor that has been hanging on the saw for nearly 50 years. The saw has seen considerable use. His Dad had a woodshop that most of us would have drooled over! Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Oh my, you'd better tell the people at Delta about that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Perhaps Greg is confused about "open motor". As it is a contractor saw, IIRC the motor hangs out the back "in the open" as it were. I'd be very surprised if Delta ships a non TEFC motor on any tablesaw.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Cool, I hope that it works great for you and lasts a long time.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

Go out to a retail web site and download a Delta owner's manual Scott. The picture clearly shows a non-TEFC motor.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually Toller, if you weren't so interested in sounding like a wise ass know it all, you'd have double checked and realized he said no such thing. He clearly stated that the motor simply died. He also stated that he was pleasantly surprised by the difference in how fast the new motor came up to speed compared to the old. This - to the casual observer, says that his motor problems were completely unrelated to the blade. The only reference he made to a blade was that he installed a new one at the same time as the motor. I guess that new blade made that new motor spin up faster than the old blade huh? Must have something to do with impedance and start current.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Where do you want me to send the pics? It is a open motor! Trust me, I know the difference! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Don't be silly. The set of the teeth makes the difference. If they are wide, they offer more wind resistance and slow down the motor. Personally, I use a thin kerf blade for two reasons. The savings on wood is enough to put one of my grandkids through college, and the faster spin up time allows me to get two more projects a year done.

PS: Run that drill press 10% faster and you gain two hours sleep when you change to daylight savings time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I built a fence for my old Craftsman table saw - pictures and drawings at

about halfway down the page...

Reply to
JeffB

Hmmm... So, if I run it backwards, I can fix mistakes.

Fix mistakes...

Reply to
Ba r r y

Personally,

Damn! I always suspected these things but never ran into anyone who could verify they were true.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Argh! I saw this web page a few weeks ago and drooled over your workmanship on that fence Jeff. That's just a beautiful thing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Please specify the speed required to run backwards and fix mistakes.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Now you know why I won't buy Crapsman tools! You really should put a TEFC motor on it, though. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Not enough information to answer your question!

How big are the mistakes and how pressed for time are you? ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I was hoping Ed knew that...

Reply to
Ba r r y

I also have a Delta contractor's saw with an open moter. I think the actual terminology is "ODP" for "open drip proof" it is not quite as "open" as some other motors I have seen. I have had this saw for 7 years and it was a few years old when I purchased it, so I would say the motor must be at least 10 years old now.

Like a previous poster said, I don't think a TEFC motor is essential in a Contractors saw. Other than putting a shop vac hose up to the motor opening a few times a year, I've never done anything special to it and never had any trouble.

Also, a TEFC is less efficient than an open motor, all other things being equal. I don't know how significant this is, but would point out that Jet uses a TEFC on their contractor saw and there are often complaints about them tripping 20A breakers on 120V circuits. Delta typically uses an open motor at the same 1.5hp and has few complaints in this regard. The reated current draw of the 2 motors is different as well, with the Jet motor requiring more. I don't recall the exact figures but I believe it was on the order of a few amps.

Reply to
lwasserm

It's pretty darn fast if you can believe the Superman comics an movies

Reply to
lwasserm