Old Craftsman Table Saw-Motor Problem

Have an old Craftsman table saw. 3/4 hp motor. When I turn it on, I hear a hum but the shaft does not turn. had it reapired last summer, same problem. Is this something novice can repair? Thanks for the help. Skip
Skip wrote:

May just be the capacitor or a dirty switch/contacts. Clean it out good.
What was wrong last time? Personally, if it's very old it's under-powered for a table saw anyway and it may be time to just replace it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.
Skip wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" writes:

I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible.
Lew
" it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.
I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible."
Well that depends on the size of the saw. An old Craftsman 8" table saw is fine with a 3/4 hp motor, that WAS the large motor option. Besides, "the older horses" seemed to be bigger than ones today. I cut stuff without problem with my old Craftsman 3/4 hp 8" that my son has problems with on his 1-1/2 hp 10".
My guess is you are getting saw dust in the starter switch since those were open motors and it needs blowed out with compressed air.
Walt Conner
Maybe put some duct tape over the vents that face upward. Wilson

Thanks to all for the imput. The capacitor was OK, the switches needed cleaning. Thanks again. Skip
Would be interested in what size that saw is since we were talking about motor size. Glad you got it fixed.
Thanks,
Walt Conner

3/4 horse 8" blade
Good match as I thought, mine too.
Walt Conner

replying to Skip, Thomas Ennis wrote: I recently found a topic on a different subject that may go along with this thread. Not sure if this and the other thread are so old that they have been "decommissioned" or not but the following was my response to something that may follow along with this particular "Old Craftsman Table Saw-Motor Problem" discussion. (If you know of another thread in Home Owners Hub" that could benefit from my comments, would you please forward this along to it)? I know this topic was discussed over 13 years ago, but if anyone ever reads this far down in the responses, I would add a big WOW to the comments about increasing the motor pulley diameter!! If you are positive that the pulleys are the original and have never been messed with, buy the same dia pulleys as those!! By increasing the motor pulley dia from your original 2.5"(?) inch dia w/o a corresponding arbor dia, it's likely your motor won't stand the additional amp draw!! If the manufacturer tested and approved the original set-up, I would certainly not vary much or at all from those pulleys!! You would be increasing the work force the motor has to deal with by a factor of 2. What does this mean, very short motor life/poping that 15 amp circuit breaker every time you feed a board into the blade! Check it out, but the increasing of the motor pulley diameter to be twice that of the arbor pulley is just asking for the cost of a new motor and a lot of frustration!!!
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:44:08 PM UTC-4, Thomas Ennis wrote:

Pray tell...
Why are you talking about motor pulley sizes in a thread about dirty switches?
re: "I would add a big WOW to the comments about increasing the motor pulley diameter..."
No one mentioned pulleys until you came along.