Home Workshops and Alarm Systems

Page 2 of 3
Blue wrote:

At least it keeps down the number of repeat offenders. Last time I cocked my Colt in somebody's ear they dropped a load. Made them clean it up before I turned them over to the police. Better than cleaning them off the ceiling.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

\ / \ / |-------------#--| | | | FRONT | | | |----------------| / \ / \ Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
"Upscale" wrote in message

from
While this house was being built, I had the shop wide open out of necessity almost every day while working on cabinets, with all manner of characters on the building crews constantly walking by the shop and dog eying my tools. The "professional installation" quote from a local alarm company that was supposed to allow me to sleep at night was $1800+ for just two points of entry. Long story short, bought the parts and installed the system myself for around $350. I got a siren for the thing that would deafen a dead man ... and I made damn sure it went off 'accidentally a couple of times whenever a new crew showed up on site.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/23/04

So did I.
Another point, monitoring is completely negotiable!
I have a major company that tries to raise my fee every quarter. I call them and tell them to close the account. Bingo! Back down to $17 a month again! My neighbors are paying $28 to the same company.
Remember, monitoring an alarm costs almost nothing, my $17 is better than zero, or at least _they_ think so! <G>
Barry
Barry Burke writes:

Sounds like AT&T when I cancelled my cell phone account. They wouldn't give me what I wanted as a roaming area, so I dropped it. After I dropped it, they offered what I wanted, but by that time I realized I had just gotten rid of one more electronic PITA that I had no real need for.
Charlie Self "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige
On 28 Jan 2004 03:00:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Keep in mind that cellular and landline phone companies, CATV, etc... have definite costs associated with each subscriber, like feature licenses, programming fees, cable, transmission, and switching equipment maintenance, contracts with out of area providers, all depending on the individual business.
My alarm system uses a circuit maintained by the phone company connected to equipment that is out of warranty. <G> If I don't bring an alarm in, which I very rarely do, I'm literally just a database entry. The most expensive cost of doing business is probably mailing the bill! Plus, I'll bet these guys actually make money on an out of warranty service call.
Barry
Barry Burke responds:

Not my problem, though. They refused to change the area to one I needed--I could roam throughout the PA, NY, OH, NE area, but before I got out of WV going south it was 2 bucks a minute. Damned near everyone I'd want to call on a mobile phone is in VA and south so I wanted to swap areas. No deal, according to AT&T. I did not want to add areas, or even get extra area.
Their costs were the same after I dropped the account as before, so there's not exactly a lot of problem that I can see with changing it before they pissed me off. They didn't. Now they don't get my $39.95 a month, period. Nor does anyone else, of course, but what the hell.
Charlie Self "Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) writes:

Is it any wonder their stock has dropped like a rock since the IPO? [See the article in this week's Newsweek.]
In my case, they stiffed me for $50 of unused time. I'd refreshed my account via their Web site the day my account was to expire and they said all was copacetic. The next day I couldn't use the phone. I found that the fine print in the contract says that one's account expires at midnight the day /before/ the "expiration date" and the Web site had blithely taken my renewal and pitched it into the dirty bit bucket. When I suggested that they could be a bit lenient, I was told, in effect, tough cookies.
I received a (form) letter awhile back from them asking if I would be interested in becoming a customer again. I fired off a missive suggesting that if they treated their existing customers better, they wouldn't have so many ex-customers.
Everett Greene responds:

Yeah, well basically that's the answer I got when I wanted to roam south instead of north. Not both. Just a different one. Couldn't do it. Wouldn't do it. So I cancelled and a week or so later, get a note saying they'd be glad to make that arrangement. By now, of course, damned near everyone was beginning to offer 'no roaming charges' for huge areas, so it would have been simple to pick up another company, but...I found I didn't miss the cell phone, which I used to forget and leave home some 80% of the time anyway. Why pay $40 a month for something that gets used less than an hour a week?

That's the MBA model: hype until you pump the initial figures, then sit back do nothing unitl it collapses around your ears, at which time you wind up the hype machine again.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
Might look for game cameras on the web. They are digital cameras of varying cost hooked up to a motion sensor. If tucked away in a shop, they probably wouldn't be noticed. You might loose your stuff but you would have nice high res. photos of the bad guys.
I USE BENCH DOGS!!!!
FWIW, Harbor Freight has mini security cameras on sale for $29.
Upscale wrote:

A corollary to monitoring for theft is the potential for fire. My shop is in walled off section of a finished basement so, to me, fire is more of a concern then theft. I understand that fire/smoke monitors work my measuring the opacity of the air. I would expect these alarms would go off all the time because of the saw dust floating in the air. Do they have special monitors that can deal with the saw dust laden air?

from
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 04:32:03 GMT, "Jim Giblin"
This is the primary reason I have a system. By the time neighbors notice smoke, it might be too late.
I have standard smoke and heat detectors, which I blow out with canned air on a regular basis. I've found that my detectors usually falsely trigger when dirty, others may not.
On occasion, I'll test the smoke heads with the canned stuff sold in hardware stores and see how long the monitoring company's response takes.
Barry
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:31:13 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I use the thermal switch types mounted up high, Can't recall the temp they trigger at, but they never generate a false alarm. However, they will not alarm until the fire is underway, and hot gas is being generated.
Barry Lennox
there are 2 primary types; fixed, usually 130 or 140 degrees and rate of rise, where a rapid rise in temp will trigger them (actually they can be set off by cupping your hand over them)
I have the 130s in my shop, no false alarms. the motion detector is another story, it had to be moved as the radiant heater would set it off about 3AM but only if the outside temp was below 32.
BRuce
Barry Lennox wrote:

--
---

BRuce

I have a motion detector that is tied to the system installed in the house... the shop is a 30'X36' building set back from the rear of the house. Both installed at time of building. Tom

from

I ahve a detached shop, 10 feet from house. I bought a cheap motion detector alarm that makes a loud local only alarm. The delay is set at 10 seconds. When I got it I had several of the local kids(potiential theives) into the shop and forgot to disable the alarm. I them asked them to wait, went inside , then walked out with the portable phone in hand. I pretended to be talking the the sheriff office to report a false alarm. I really sold the act to the kids. Have had no trouble since then. If a new kid comes to the neighborhood and comes to the house I make sure he sees the alarm.
Preception is a key to security.
JOAT responds:

Or NY. NY used to have, and probably still does, a "retreat until no retreat is possible" piece of bullshit in its laws.
What makes more sense to me: in Roanoke, VA some years ago (5?), a guy followed a woman home, kicked down the door to her home and was entering. She shot and killed him. No charges filed.
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook