Home Workshops and Alarm Systems

I hope your "friend" paid for his idiocy.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I use a German Shepherd who has 24/7 access to the shop. So far so good ...

)

Reply to
Scott

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in news:3055-40199639-269@storefull-

3196.bay.webtv.net:

Actually I keep at least one mag loaded with every other bullet a hollow point and the others a FMJ-RN. If the bad guy is wearing a heavy jacket the hollow point might not penatrate well. So the next round would!

Nasty, but prepared!

Oh and I have ten high cap, 15 rounds, magazines.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

Gorgeous dog and he looks exactly like the German shepherd I had 30 years ago which was my last dog.

Reply to
Upscale

Sadly, no. Neither one of us had any money, so I took the bus from then on.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I use the thermal switch types mounted up high, Can't recall the temp they trigger at, but they never generate a false alarm. However, they will not alarm until the fire is underway, and hot gas is being generated.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

there are 2 primary types; fixed, usually 130 or 140 degrees and rate of rise, where a rapid rise in temp will trigger them (actually they can be set off by cupping your hand over them)

I have the 130s in my shop, no false alarms. the motion detector is another story, it had to be moved as the radiant heater would set it off about 3AM but only if the outside temp was below 32.

BRuce

Barry Lennox wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

Wow, you guys are extreme. You would kill someone over a few hundred bucks worth of tools? Don't get me wrong, I believe in defending myself and my family(and have the means to do so), but everything else is replaceable, unlike innocent bystanders and neighbors that would be in danger while you are blasting away. I guess I've lived too long out in the sticks, where the only criminals we have are the mailbox terrorists (about once a year, usually around graduation time). Maybe you guys should think about moving if it's that bad.

Reply to
bodyfixer

Well, statements like you've made in this thread are just fodder for the anti-gun activists. Gun control means knowing how to use your firearm and WHEN to use it.

Reply to
bodyfixer

It's not the cost of the tools. It's the isolence of daring to try it in the first place. Think of it as an intelligence test combined with plinking. Bystanders are safe. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave
[posted and mailed]

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:1599-401C2EF0-828@storefull-

3113.bay.webtv.net:

Bzzzzz. Wrong! Gun Control is getting the second round on target!

First of all. The most common kind of crime around here where someone breaks into your house is the violent home invasion. In the last couple of years there have been lots of cases around here.

In my case, and no doubt most others peoples, if someone breaks into my shop and I am not in there I will call 911 and then fall into a defensive position to defend my family. The BG (bad guy) leaves the shop and enters the house then all bets are off. If I am in the shop and a bad guy comes in to steal from me and my presense doesn't scare him off then I assume my and my families life is in danger because the BG was willing to perpetrate the crime with witnesses present. BG is toast.

Deadly force is a last resort. But you have to be willing to use it before you yourself end up dead.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

shooting a person that has broken into my property (house or shop) is justifiable, using 6 - 210 rounds of FMJ or hollow point is not. it is not anymore justifiable than deer hunting with an automatic weapon.

Chances are that in my case the gun would be use to detain the suspect until the sheriff arrives. I have never injured a bystander shooting at squirrels, why would shooting at a criminal be any different, other than his head (not brain) would be larger?

BRuce (I live far enough out that is should make a difference but it doesn't)

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

You're talking about a matter of religion. Nobody will be convinced of anything unless something happens to them personally. The anti-gun crowd doesn't need fodder and isn't interested in facts. I'm assuming from the way you worded this that you aren't among them. people who believe that removing guns will "fix" the crime problem aren't rational. Worrying about giving them ammo is a waste of time, they'll make their own. Stop by sometime, I'll show you the NRA museum and range. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Just this last Friday, not more than a 3 blocks from my house, a really nice 45 year old woman came home to find a 15 year old kid ransacking her house. He shot her in the head and stole her van. He was caught 4 blocks away when he left the van in front of a local bar club. Her husband came home to find his wife dead in the kitchen.

This kid should be terminated immediately, on the side of the road where he was picked up, and his body dumped at the city landfill in a plastic bag. No need to waste tax payer dollars keeping him alive for the rest of his life and feeding him. He does not deserve to draw another breath.

Joe Willmann wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

Why would you want to waste the plastic bag?

Reply to
Tbone

Reply to
Mark

I've got a pitbull, an alarm system with a solar powered backup, sounds a tone when the door opens, and the first two rounds in the 9 are ball followed by the silvertipped hollowpoints for good measure. 15 in the clip and a spare clip in the holster. Plus, I am a pretty large fellow who will loan tools occaisionally, but absolutely hate a thief....

35 cents is way too cheap for the taxpayers. I won't miss.
Reply to
Mark Hopkins