Home made hinges and latches for small boxes

I would like to make some hinges and latches for some small wooden boxes. Since I have some leather, that seems to be a good choice for the hinges, but I'm looking for some ideas on shop-made latches. Doesn't need to look pretty, as these boxes are for protecting small electronic measuring devices that are showing up in the shop.

A little pricey but looks well engineered.
http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_HingeCrafter_p/hingecrafter.htm
Copper sheeting. It's malleable and holds up well with that sort of light use. Sometimes you can pick up sufficient scraps from home construction sites during roof construction. Sonny
I inset some magnets in the bottom half and steel pieces that lined up in the lid on a few peices. Velcro is hard to beat for utility type boxes.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
"Phisherman" wrote:

Assume (I know that's trouble, but so be it) that if you make these boxes, they will be purty.
If so, why would you put ugly hinges on a purty box?
Inquiring minds, including mine, want to know?
Lew
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:21:28 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

I prefer utilitarian rather than fancy hinges or latches, similar to Shaker style. Already made some wire hinges, not ugly and not fancy neither.

At a craft show once I saw a guy that made decorative latches that had on the lid one piece as a dovetail shaped key with a straight section coming out the short end, with a pin going through it into pieces on either side. On the case there were two angled pieces the key locked into. I reckon if you didn't care what it looked like you could crank several of those out pretty quick.
Or, 3-4 round head screws and a rubber band.
-Kevin
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:45:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Kevin, I like the way you think !! =0)
Lenny