Home Depot, my kinda store!

Page 1 of 2
I go in today armed with my low-price guarantee for a 1/2" corded drill thats cheaper at Lowes. Picked up the Ryobi 2hp plunge router while there and 3 tubs of biscuits for the Craftsman PJ I just got on sale. No problem with the drill price, girl doesn't even call them. Gives my their price (I told her the truth), takes off an addt'l 10%, adds in the router and biscuits, then gives me an additional 10% off my *total* purchase - today only. Pretty tough to beat that kind of deal. HD is #1 GI<G>.
I got the extra 10% off at HD when I found the Dewalt 12" miter saw cheaper at Orchard Supply. Now THAT'S savings. I saved more than $45 by the time they calculated the "deal". That was right after HD moved into SJ. Now I get aggravated with them more often than I'm happy with them. But what's a person to do? I COULD drive 40 minutes to Lowe's (one way)...
dave
John DeBoo wrote:

HAHA! Lucky me...I have three Lowes and three Home Depots all within 15 minutes of me and a Rocker store just 5 minutes away. Oh wait...that's not lucky, I'M BROKE!

Neener Neener Neener 3 Lowes, 4 Home Depots, 1 Harbor Freight, 1 Woodworkers Supply & 1 Woodcraft, all within 20 minutes, several within 10. I'm broke too<sigh>.
David P wrote:

Ha ha! I'm 3 minutes from an Ace Hardware!
Oh, wait a minute . . .
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

Yup! Narrow aisles and all. When you garb a handfull of nails to put into a little paper bag you get stabbed.
Neat little place with a big propane tank available for fillin' purposes. Right there in good ole Otis Orchards, WA.
Love the name of that little non-town town. Makes me think of Otis Campbell.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
DL wrote:

Where is Otis Orchard (Port Orchard??)? I just KNEW it had to be in WA. Was born & raised just out of the N end of Seattle and my dad was a carpenter so we went to a hardware store in Kenmore for years, and the lumber yard. Jez, a real hardware store. You are truly lucky sir! God, I remember buying walnut when I was in HS there (60's), it was the most expensive wood available in the shop and was 88/bd ft then.

We got one of those last year that is about 5 minutes away from our house. Yumm. Its fun to go to a movie on Friday or Saturday night at the Valley Mall and then stop at KK for a snack and watch the parade of humanity go through.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
DL wrote:

I have to say I've seen'em, but never crossed that threshold into temptation. Probably just as well we don't have one here. I'd eventually sneak out, glace around surrepetitiously to make sure no one was looking, and then pay a visit.
I figure I'd end up on one of those talk shows. "This man entered a Krispy Kreme store and ate so much that he could never leave."

I don't think that size cedar is out there any more.
Hmmmm.
Dang it must have been cold spending a winter up there.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
DL wrote:

Nahhh, we logged it all I think, we and our trusty (at the time) 36" Mcullough chain saws etc. Sure was pretty wood grain though, wish I had a few logs today. I learned cold there, and how fun it is to travel a mile thru armpit deep snow w/ a 12v battery in a back pak. But I also learned how fun it was to sled on a car hood (51 Chevy) behind a PU on the snow!
Krispy Kreme 1 mile away and is already built and serving up those little ring's o'heaven. Starbuck's Coffee 1/4 mile away to wash dem donuts down with coffee I can't afford. Oh, and yes, 3 Ace Hardware stores strategically placed around my area. BAM! Now don't make me break out the big guns and tell you about the real lumber yards/mills in the area. :)

Miller Hardware (a REAL hardware store where you find service and all the things the others don't have!!), 1 Paxton Hard Woods, 4 local lumber yards (all with better wood than the BORG), 1, Woodcraft, 1 Woodsmith (BIG), 1 community tool loan service, 3 Home Depot, 2 Lowes, 2 Menards, 3 Starbucks (soso coffee), 4 Grounds for Celabration (great coffee), 1 main Krispy Kreme, and enough outlets selling them that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting several! And all of this is out here in Plowville (Iowa). Now if only that pot of gold was here, I might be able to afford all of this!
Digger
Digger wrote:

Ahhh, build it and they will come? Where's Iowa (ducking my head quickly)? SOunds like you're in a great community for sure.

Yeah, it's got a lot of stores, but it is not long on entertainment. And the schools have decided that when it comes to cutting the budget, that industrail arts is the first to go. I'm trying to amass a decent shop to teach my kids and maybe a few neighbor kids some shop safety and wood and metal basics. They gotta get it some where, and need to learn the pride in a job well done.
Dig
John DeBoo wrote:

Yeah, they're about gone, aren't they?
Is it just me, or do the likes of HD and Lowe's get worse on hardware as soon as they finish killing the last of the old stores? I'll admit to going to Lowe's plenty of times for hardware because it was closer, but I really miss having a real hardware store to go to when I wanted to get something unusual. I regret my unfaithfulness.
Silvan wrote:

who'd help. Nowadays its young kids as cashiers only who have no idea what they are selling, and could care less. We still have one -similar- to the old type and I love going there. Its got a number of older folks working there who are soooo helpful and eager to chat.
Oh, no fair! You cheated and went out another 5 minutes. Well, if we're going 20 minutes, then add 1 Harbor Freight, 1 Woodcraft, and 1 Paxton's Woodsource..and...and Wal-Mart! So there!

Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk... Hmmm, I've a Super WalMart 1 mile away, with a Sams Club next door and a Paxtons 15 minuutes away. The closest HD has a Costco next door. Both Sams and Costco have a few tools and sometimes decent pricing with them too. I wonder if you and I live in the same city perchance - Albuquerque? I went 20 minutes as that how long it takes to go from one end of Abq to the other. Since I'm close to one end.....
David P wrote:

woodworkers' supply in coranado doesn't count?

Larry Levinson Talking up to the vocal ... LLevinson*Bloomberg.net (remove the star etc ....)