Hints from Heloise - Cleaning Cosmoline From Tool Tables

I have seen quite a few grumbles here and there regarding removal of cosmoline or other protectants from new tools. Some manufacturers recommend kerosene.
The last few times I have used full-strength Citrus Degreaser with a lot of success. These were citrus bike chain degreaser or full-strength Advanage (not Advantage) degreaser sold by fund raisers nation-wide. Just spread it over the table, rub it into thicker areas with fingertip pressure (rubber gloves if sensitive), let it sit for 10 minutes or so, wipe it off with a wad of paper towels. You might have to go over it again to remove spots and residue, then wipe with a damp rag and apply protectant. Advantages over kerosene:
- I think it works better - Less messy - Non-flammable - Doesn't stink. In fact, it smells pretty good - I have seen no signs of it going after paint like some petroleum-based solvents.
Thought this might be timely. We should be well into the Christmas-hint season.

I don't understand what the big deal is with removing cosmoline. That wonderful, magical, gift from the gods, WD-40, removes it instantly. I'm certain agent orange, A.K.A. citrus degreaser, does equally as well, but I think a water-based cleaners may seep into hidden cracks and bring on rust.
Gary

So does Kerosene, at 30% of the price.
Barry

Maybe yes, maybe no, at today's oil prices. Kerosene, 30% of the price maybe, but 1000% more stink, definitely.

No, just a different stink. <G>
My wife complains about either. It's not like WD-40 is odorless at any given quantity. WD-40 is also more flammable.
FWIW, off-road K-1(non-road taxed) is $2.50 a gallon this week, here in CT. WD-40 is $12 a gallon on grainger.com.
Barry

I saw kerosene at $1.99 in Ohio, today. Is WD-40 flammable? I didn't know that.
I like the smell of both.
--
Kevin
-=#=-

Indeed.
Are there no Small Children needing extra pocket money ?
Evenin' Ron:
There is also a product from a company called LPS. It is their LPS1. I have used it to remove cosmoline with great success, also. Just something else that works.

In case you still want to use kerosine:
I've read that lamp oil (the fuel sold for oil lamps) is deoderized kerosine. I don't know how they deoderize it, but it has become my favorite sharpening fluid.
--

FF

Just a point, I can tell you from personal experience that many of the citrus cleaners ARE flammable before they dry. Watching the whole top of my (electric) stove ripple with blue flame for a few seconds was an experience.
--
Keith