Water softener? (Haley's Cleaning Hints)

Just picked up a copy of Haley's Cleaning Hints at the library, and expected to be able to look this up in the index. Anyone know what he is talking about when he mentions "water softener"? Also called "washing soda." No such thing on my grocery store shelves... I somehow thought this was a code-word for baking soda. What is he talking about?

Ignorantly yours,

Dave snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Dave

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Washing soda is sodium carbonate. I believe that Arm and Hammer sells both but I have never looked for washing soda. Interestingly, some people object to an "off taste" that they detect in baked goods. This is the result of an incomplete reaction of baking soda that turns into washing soda. This is a good reason no to use excessive amounts of baking soda in recipes.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Okaaaay. So, can I use baking soda (bicarbonate) in place of washing soda? If I'm not mistaken, the only difference should be an extra H+ ion tacked onto the carbonate ion. I know that baking soda will work in his recipe for removing tarnish from silver (using hot water, aluminum foil and salt.) Anybody know? I've already got plenty of baking soda on hand... May just give it a try to see.

Thanks for the help,

Dave snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Dave

I'm not advocating that you substitute one for the other. I just pointed out the difference.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Gotcha. Thanks.

Dave snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote

'old fashioned' Soda crystals...? Used to be for clothes washing, I still keep them around for making the dog vomit if something nasty has been eaten ;o)

Reply to
caroline

Hi Dave

A simple H+ molecule?

I'm sure you drink a little H2O every day! And the air you breath is O2 right!

Therefore, a little oxygenated water should be good for you;)

However, I think I would lay off the H2O2 if I were you! That little oxygen molecule just turned your water to poison. H2O2 is Hydrogen Peroxide.

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

If you look on a hydrogen peroxide bottle bought from a pharmacy it suggests that it can be used as a mouth wash.

Reply to
DrClean

That's true but it has to be well diluted. iirc when I've bought peroxide here it comes in two strengths, at my local chemist it does anyway. Both will burn.

Reply to
Dawn

It's also only 4% solution!

It can also be used to make one puke too!

TTUL Gary

Reply to
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

I used hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash following surgery at the recommendation of the dentist. Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer. If hydrogen peroxide is swallowed seek medical attention immediately.

Reply to
Phisherman