de-smelling a mice pee impregnated ceiling ?

Hi, anyone know of the best way to remove the smell, on warm humid days or wet days especially, of mice pee. We have an extension which had a couple of mice running around in the roof space for some time, and being mice, they have left their smell of pee and poo behind in there. As we have to have it refelted and boarded on top, we shall at last get to see the inside, sweep up the droppings and now is the big chance to treat the wood with something to soak into it, as far as the pee did, to neutralise the chemical causing the smell inside the room. Being in the UK, all I can think of is Milton sterilising fluid (used for babies products, surfaces etc) diluted with water and sprayed on, but what dilution, drinking water strength ?, or stronger....dont want to affect the timber rot wise. Guess this will kill the bacteria if thats what causes smells, ...what does cause the smell, probably more likely the chemical constituent though, not sure of the physics of smells, we can only smell a gas, tiny droplets of the liquid it comes from, so solids dont smell, but some do, new pvc, new timber, a new TV or lightbulb. Also Febreze sprayed on perhaps,...mentions pet odours. Its supposed to be good at killing smells from carpets and fabrics. This has got to be a once only treatment that will last obviously.

HAS ANYONE ANY BETTER IDEAS, EXPERIENCE ETC. ? Steve

Reply to
Steve

I would go to the paint store and get some sealer/primer In the US, people use shelack type sealers to lock in the smell after fire damage. Something like that might work.

Reply to
Vox Humana

There are a number of products sold in pet stores for removing urine smells. I'd start there. (You can also find them in some supermarkets and department stores.)

If you go to a pet-related group and ask, they'll probably know the names of the best ones.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

"Steve" wrote

[...]
[...]

Hi Steve

Try

to find your local stockist. Specially designed for dog & cat pee smells, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work well on mice ammonia too... You'll probably find it stocked in your local pet superstore, Jollyes, or Pets At Home etc...but the website will help more I'm sure...you may even be able to order it direct from them.

Hope this helps

Reply to
caroline

[...]

supermarkets

Great advice, but Steve, be aware that the majority of posters of the pet newsgroups are from America and may well be recommending products not available in the UK...

Reply to
caroline

Hi Steve,

Take a look on

where we have a spray-on urine specific treatment that could work. It's only £10.75 for 1ltr and can be sprayed on most surfaces.

Out of interest, I think it's best to treat first before you try to seal it.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
DrClean