Hinge Question

I need a "specialty" hinge, for a kitchen cabinet door, but I can't seem to find it.

The cabinet has a face frame with inset doors and what I consider to be a standard mortised hinge. Because of the way these hinges work, when the door is open 90 degrees, the thickness of the door blocks the edge of the door opening. The door opening isn't fully clear until the door gets to 180 degrees.

The ASCII art below shows approximately what it looks like from above with the door open 90 degrees.

---------------| face frame |

---------------| hinge point--> *|----| | | door --> | | | |

What I need is a replacement hinge that will swing the door completely out of the opening when it is open 90 degrees.

I've looked at hinges in catalogs from Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodcraft, and others without finding what I'm looking for. Can someone help me in this search? Thanks.

Reply to
Chris Wolf

This is only vaguely related to your post, but it's still cool.

you're looking for is an offset hinge (some people call them offset pivot hinges, but a pivot hinge is a different animal and that gets confusing). Call one of the large mass market hardware manufacturer's tech support line and ask - like Stanley or Amerock - it'd probably be faster than poking around on the net.

RicodJour

Thanks. I think I found what I need at Lee Valley.

had overlooked it originally because they show it for a different application (fold-back doors). However, if you mount it differently, it will do what I need as well.

Reply to
Chris Wolf