kitchen door hinge problem

My hinges have pulled out of one of my kitchen cupboard doors and the screws no longer bite into the chipboard. Does anyone have a solution to what to fill them with so that they won't pull out again? thanks v much!

Reply to
ajmunnings

Epoxy car body filler (or epoxy wood filler). Chisel out a bit more of the wood, so the hole expands out from the initial hole so that the filler can wedge fully inside, if that makes sense.

i.e.

----/ \-- / \ -------

is better than

----\ /--- \ / -

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

P.S. Thinking about it, it might be easier to just drill out a few near horizontal tunnels to provide the requisite key.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

When this happened to me I drilled out holes to the largest dia dowel I had and glued dowels in then cut them off flush and remounted hindge. gordon

Reply to
gordonpuk

Some possibiles: Oversize screws Through bolts into adjacent cupboard Drill new holes in the hinge plates so you can have screws in a new location

Reply to
dom

Yes. 'Holts Chemical Metal'

It goes from goo to rubbery to rock hard in a few minutes.

You can fill all crumbling chip with it, and then re-drill or chance simply inserting the bolt thing into the goo.

Best way to use is to mix,. slap in, then cover with sheet of ply there to and press down - a bit of ply and some clamps or pegs work well - till it goes 'rubbery'

Then expose it and use a serrated knife to scrape or cut excess. Be fast, you have a few minutes only. You can rub surplus off melamine at this point with your thumb.

Finally drill for fixing and reinsert. If more cupboard falls away, repeat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But it sounds like the holes on the door are the problem.

Body filler in the screw holes and the 35mm hole should do it but, yes there's usually plenty of room for two new holes on that part of the hinge.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Pity it's the door as if it were the carcass side you could have used one of these - just 70p and couple of quid small order charge.

is well known to be made from Weetabix so just mix one up with a bit of epoxy resin and cram it in the hole :)

Reply to
Matt

a useful thing! Thanks for the link.

I thought it was Shredded Wheat?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Assuming the hinges are held onto the doors by normal woodscrews, try glueing cocktail sticks in the screw holes with PVA, wait till dry, trim flush and re insert screws.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>>What a useful thing! Thanks for the link.

Depends on the distance to the cereal factory - I'm nearer to Kettering than Welwyn Garden City :)

Reply to
Matt

Thanks everyone for your excellent replies! This is the first time I've visited the uk diy group and I'm really impressed. I've ordered a couple of the Woodfit repair plates which look excellent, and even I can't muck up fixing them (famous last words). cheers

Reply to
ajmunnings