HF Framing Nailer

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 31 May 2006 22:10:18 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

Nope. Some of us are still waiting for the cheap nailer to fail and they hold up amazingly well. I've got two and have yet to break them even after moderately hard use.
Andrew Barss wrote:

Just got a coupon from HF for their 28 deg framing nailer. Regularly $190, on sale for $60. Anybody wants, I'll forward the email.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Someone else posted the SKU - 94000, I think. Looks like it's on sale for the parking lot sale this weekend? The web has it currently for $89.
This one's a clipped head. Anyone have any heartburn over that for 'around the house' stuff? IISTR that some areas were requiring FRH for code work?
At $60 -- this is *really* tempting.
I, like a lot of folks, have the 18ga finish nailer. Best $15 or $20 (I don't recall which) I've spent in a very, very long time.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

I went by my local retail brick/mortar HF and picked up this framing nailer. It was $59.99 plus tax. This was outside on the sidewalk. It's a 28 degree, clipped head nailer. I also picked up a box of their 2x1/2 treated nails.
Inside the box of the 94000, is the nailer, an instruction manual, an air hose chuck, an assortment of hex keys to adjust the various bolts that hold it together and a small bottle of oil.
After getting it up home, reading through the manual, and then hooking it up I ran through a clip of nails to see how it worked. It seemed to drive the nails just fine at about 85 PSI. Looks like it will be great for the occasional project that involves 2x4s and the like.

Inside the store, there's another framing nailer on sale for $89. I believe this one nomrally goes for $199 or something. I didn't look at it too closely. But looks like it's a 21 degree nailer, comes with a molded plastic case and a few nails.
HF, also has some pretty good deals on inexpensive bar clamps ($2.99) and right angle clamps ($0.99). I also snagged an angle grinder for $10.
I have a refurbished Porter Cable which I really like. The HF is almost identical except the surface finish is slightly rougher. I just got an email coupon saying the 94000 model will be on sale for $60 from June 2-4 in their stores.
Unlike circular saws, angle grinders and right angle drills (where expensive ones have electric brakes or safety clutches), I don' think an expensive nail gun is any safer than a cheap one. For nailers, safety all depends on you.

Can't speak to the framing nailer but I have heard pretty good stuff about their smaller guns. I sold a used table saw to a local finish-carpenter last summer. He had started his business on a shoestring budget a couple of years before and bought a couple of HF nailers (18 and 15 ga. if I recall). He said he was a little embarrased to use them in front of other carpenters until he started noticing others use them. Some even carried them around in discarded Delta or other brand cases.
His looked like a couple of beat-up stockcars but he said they seldom missed a lick. Pretty good endorsement for the smaller equipment.
RonB

My Brother-in-Law uses one all the time. I think he said he has four or five now. He builds houses and does historic restoration on commercial projects. He was trying to talk me into buying one, too, but I already have a clipped head PC. HF also has good deals on nails at their retail outlets. I'll probably buy a new brad nailer from HF in the fall.
J.
Andrew Barss wrote:

I've got an HF full head nailer. Never had a problem with it. I only have the odd need for it so it just didn't make sense to spend 2x-4x on it. I can't speak to the safety aspect as this is the first framer I've owned and nothing safety related has happened. Cheers, cc