HF Dust collector??

Page 1 of 3
Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..
I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other than an open garage door and a window fan..
Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector from Harbor Freight?
I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going from no system to one of these do me any good?
(their number on it is 45378)
thanks, mac
Do a google search for previous posts.
There is also a good website discussing this dust collector: http://tinyurl.com/5scy6 http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/WoodNet%20HFDC%20Thread.htm
I picked up one of these yesterday for $139 at the retail store ($159, price match the website $149, $10 off coupon). I haven't unpacked it yet so I can't say if it's any good.
--
Patrick Fitzgerald, barelyfitz.com/wood

I have one, as do many others. for the $159 on sale price it is a good deal. Many people recommend better bags, but I have been satisfied with the stock ones. Check this link out! www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDocs/WoodNet%20HFDC%20Thread.htm Greg

Great link! thanks, Greg..
I have been tempted several times. Up close it looks like a real decent unit.

I've got one, and think it works great. Having said that it is the first one I've owned. I am in the process of hooking up some 4" pipe runs to my equipment. If you do a Google search there is also a modification to these that makes them work apparently a lot better.
Cheers,
Paul
mac davis wrote:

At http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html you can see how I've used the HF dust collector (in conjunction with two cyclone separators) to capture dust from a CNC router - which produces a /lot/ of dust!
I've been happy with the entire system.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

I bought it last Christmastime for about $140. Sucks pretty good. :-)
Like Greg, I plan to put a better bag on it someday, and set up a chip separator, but it suits my needs just fine right now. I ductaped a hood in the bottom of the tablesaw, set it up with a piece of flexible dryer conduit that sticks out of the saw at a convenient spot, and put a 20' flexible hose on the DC. It works just great. Easy to hook up, lots of suction. You can watch it suck the dust from the top of the saw. When I get the new bag, I might go whole hog and do that two-bag manifold upgrade.
I didn't do as much woodworking this summer as I wanted. Bathroom remodel. But I did fill the bottom bag up. Once.
I should note that the shop vac is still the best choice for the band saw and SCMS. When I drop the hose size to fit those outlets, suction drops so much that the shop vac's is better. I'm gonna cut a four-inch hole in the bandsaw one of these days.
Dan

Wynn Environmental sells a large cartridge conversion kit (like used by Jet and Delta) that should turn the Harbor Freight into a much, much better collector in terms of containing the dust and drastically reducing the maintenance required.
Its $118 at http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
Bob

That looks fantastic. Thanks Bob, I heard something about addon filters a little while ago and was going to ask. Then I forgot. Thanks for bringing it up. Probably won't be able to get it till tax time but I'm glad that's out there.
Dan

I've got one and it's a great piece for the money. I put a Grizzly .3 micron bag on top, and a plastic bag on the bottom. I use a 30 gallon steel trash can and a Grizzly separator lid. I mounted the dust collector unit on a shelf with the separator can underneath the shelf, tucked the whole thing in the corner next to the garage door track, and it works wonderfully. A decent, small footprint, and - so far - reliable DC system for around $200 total.
As for suction, I have no means of measuring it. Though the first time I turned it on... it threw a breaker... ok, so the SECOND time I turned it on, I put my hand in from of the intake to see how the suction was... Whoomp. Sucked my hand right in. I'm lucky I didn't get clipped by impeller blades.
Which does bring up a topic: it throws a 15 amp breaker pretty regulary for me. I had to move it to a 20 amp circuit.
On 1 Nov 2004 11:52:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote:

Well, I have 40 amp circuits in the shop (the old 220v plug, converted to 2 110v circuits), so I don't think I'd have that problem...
I'm pleasantly surprised at the many positive responses to this post, and have added the DC to my HF "wish list"..
Thanks to all that have replied....

Just to add to the posts, my brother just received his a couple of days ago and he is quite pleased so far.
Dave Hall
On 1 Nov 2004 11:52:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wrote:

2 HP should be about 16 amps IIRC. Probably pulls 18-20 on startup. If you have more than 50' of wire from the panel to the motor it pretty much guarantees that it will blow a 15A breaker. If the motor can be converted to 240 that is the way I would go.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

That's a good question. I downloaded the manual, and it doesn't say. Could someone who has one check it out? If the motor can be re-wired to 240v, I'll get one.
On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:12:46 -0600, Peter De Smidt

110v only

I run mine on 110 volt, 20 amp breaker, no trips, ever. Can't have anything else on the same breaker though! Greg
Unfortunately it can't... at least that's what I've found from prior posts... if someone knows a way... :-)
I just added a seperate 20A 110V circuit just for that.
Dave
Tim Douglass wrote:

If the motor can't be converted that is probably your best option. One of my criteria for stationary tools anymore is that they be able to run on 240, of course most only have switches for 120...
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com