flame retardant workwear

Hi,

I was looking for some new thermal underwear what with it being so cold and I stumbled across web sites selling flame retardant thermals. I was wondering what they are?. A lot of welder's over wear is flame retardant and that makes sense but I am puzzled why their underwear needs to be flame retardant if their upper layers are?

Apart from welding, are such things any use? What about with the group favourite, the angle grinder?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Andy Burns

Fred laid this down on his screen :

I have managed to set several pairs of overalls alight so far, during angle grinder use :')

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not sure about boiler suits but SWMBO has just bought a pair of Nomex gloves..to test them I put my hand on the hottest aga hotplate (c 130C). Yuip. Can barely feel it.

Recommended +10.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

I had 2 guys 75' up a 150' tower a few years back that we were taking down. They were using a petrol driven disc cutter. Fortunately they were wearing flame retardant padded clothing. When they came down one of them had burnt through one of the leggings with the sparks and not noticed until they reached his leg. Could have been a bit awkward if he had caught fire 75' up the tower.

Reply to
Bill

I wear them when I am Offshore, working outside the temp refuge, I also wear flameproof overhauls over the top. Just an extra layer of protection in case the worst happens.

Reply to
Camdor

Mine are Nomex - ex US naval aircrew.

Most isn't. You can certainly get this, but most (of what is worn) is simply cotton rather than highly flammable synthetics.

For welding, the two favoured fireproofs are leather and Melton (a dense wool). Most fireproof welding kit not only needs to avoid ignition, but also to be a heat insulator to protect the wearer. Leather is also much cheaper than anything else equally fireproof.

Good flameproofs are also impermeable, so they don't soak up fuels or oil and then turn into a wick. Kevlar won't burn on its ownn, but soak it in paraffin and it makes fire poi or flame juggling torches.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Flameproof underwear could save the skin from peeling in extreme circumstances, not sure but dont racing drivers and RAF wear similar because of the risk of fireballs.

Reply to
ss

Pseudo formula one drivers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes. very much so

I've seen drivers totally on fire soaked in fuel stagger away from crashes and after being doused with extinguishers be perfectly all right

- not a scratch on them. Flame inhalations is the greatest danger, but even then the helmet and the coveralls cover the mouth and nose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher