HF Dust collector??

I'll have to wait until I can afford to get one, look at it, then re-read your post... (I print a lot of this NG out) I got lost on the cartridge conversion and quit reading somewhere around taking the Y off and the 4" and 6" inch thing... like trying to understand someone talking about a car when you've never seen one..

I was noticing tonight that almost an hour after sanding a couple of boards with the palm sander, I could see dust in the air when my wife came in the driveway with the lights on... HAS to be bad for me, breathing in that crap every evening..

Reply to
mac davis

While it sounds like this unit will pick up the big stuff, I doubt it'll get the really fine dust. The stuff that will clog up your lungs. If you really want to get ALL of the dust as you say, check out this site for some info:

James Cubby Culbertson

Very interesting site! my education continues... *g*

Reply to
mac davis

Unfortunately, the dust collector will do very little to help that (I have yet to see a palm sander connected to a dust collector). What you need for the fine floating dust is a dust filtration unit. Lots of old posts on this and the argument between those who recommend buying a commercial unit and those who (like me) built theirs from a furnace blower and some good filters. So now not only are you hearing about a car without seeing one, we've thrown in motorcycles ;)

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Hello,

Here's another link that has some more info on the subject. I'm trying to learn about this as well. As far as actually breathing in the dust goes, I think that I'd be wearing a dust mask.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

On Sun 31 Oct 2004 11:52:12p, "Bob" wrote in news:gakhd.742$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

little while ago and was going to ask. Then I forgot. Thanks for bringing it up. Probably won't be able to get it till tax time but I'm glad that's out there.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I actually understand that one and agree, Dave... I'll probably copy Ken Vaughn's system, as it seems very efficient and looks like the construction is within my skill level..

I had forgotten the a dust collector doesn't filter dust unless it's fed into it... I might need the filter system more than the DC!

Reply to
mac davis

I would rate the HF unit at 1-1/2 HP, more closely relates to Jets 1-1/2 HP unit, the DC1100A which Amazon has for $330! Is the Jet better? Probably! Is it worth over twice the price? I don't believe so. At least not for the hobby wood dorker. You can get the HF unit for $159 pretty much any time. Plus the often run coupons for $10 on puchaces over $100 to get the out the door price to $149. Better bags can be had cheap enough so it is still a good deal. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Like the fine dust produced from sanding? Which you probably will not be able to make use of your dust collector while doing?! If you want to get all the fine dust it takes quite a commitment, connect all your tools, overarm collector for your tablesaw, downdraft sanding table, and on and on! Way out of range for most hobbyists! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I'm also building a sanding table that I got from Ken's site... Every bit of dust I prevent helps...

Reply to
mac davis

Unfortunately it can't... at least that's what I've found from prior posts... if someone knows a way... :-)

I just added a seperate 20A 110V circuit just for that.

Dave

Tim Douglass wrote:

Reply to
David Dube

If the motor can't be converted that is probably your best option. One of my criteria for stationary tools anymore is that they be able to run on 240, of course most only have switches for 120...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

The dust collector is assembled and awaiting the cartridge. I am going to try 5" line from the single port on the impellar housing initially.

I took the housing apart tonight and measured the actual diameter of the impellar to be 10", photo here:

is supposed to be 11", but short of measuring one. The cavity in the housing would certainly take a larger impellar.

Alan

Reply to
Alan W

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

404 Error on that link, and iterations of the URL:
Reply to
patriarch

patriarch wrote in news:Xns95996CD434343gmadsencomcastnet@216.148.227.77:

missed the s on images when I typed it in:

A Womack

Wow! beefier than I expected at that price... but I've never seen or priced one before, either...

You're not even going to try it as it comes from HF, so you can see the improvement with the adapter and cartridge?

Reply to
mac davis

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nope, those 30 micron bags give me the jeebies. I still have quite a bit of work to do even after I get the cartridge and assemble it onto the DC. My local hose supplier was out of 5" DC hose and had none on order. There was another local source.

Since I have moved my jointer and the tablesaw to be in a T arrangement, the amount of hose I need is quite a bit less. Going to figure out how to run some line down to my router insert on the tablesaw without having it all over the floor, or ugly ugly up on the ceiling.

Alan

Reply to
A Womack

ok, now you've got me worried (again) I started this post and was surprised at how many people in the wreck use the HF collector... now, it seems that a lot of folks are saying that it needs a better bag??

Reply to
mac davis

Seems so, but I run mone with the bags it came with. I use mine to keep the shop clean, collect chips from my TS, planer, and jointer. I have a air filter to get the "dust". Greg

Reply to
Greg O

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, we (they) are saying that 30 microns isn't sufficient on any collector to get the stuff that worries the experts. It isn't just Harbor Freight.

However, catching the table saw and router table dust down to .3 microns doesn't do much, if you then run your random orbit sander without some means of dust collection.

The truly dedicated will get a mask, a ceiling filter, and a cyclone collector with good filters. Some of the others will move to hand tools, or working outside. For the truly paranoid, there's usually a game on television.

Do what you think is reasonable, in connection with your hobby, and the rest of your life and health habits.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch