Budget Dust Collector

Advice, please. I work in a windowless basement room served by a squirrel fan and a Fein shop vac. I only use one tool at a time, but the dust is getting to me to the point where I have to break down and do something. Recommendations. My budget is about $300. TIA

Reply to
LDR

LDR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

one gets good reviews for the money, and isn't typical HF junk.

"Delta 50-850 115 Volt, 1-1/2 Horsepower, 1200 CFM Dust Collector", is the one I have, only with an upgraded bag. $280 ish at various Delta dealers. Jet has a similar machine.

Google chip seperator in the wReck archive, as well.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

What do you want the DC for? Without extensive cowling, it won't do much for a contractor TS or a MS; but great for a jointer or planer.

Reply to
Toller

Thanks, Patriarch, you confirmed what I was thinking remembering the thread on the HF machine, despite Horrible Freight's reputation. But Toller has weakened my resolve. While a jointer and planer are on the top of my (sexy) wish list, right now it's the contractor ts and router table that are playing havoc with my sinuses. Thanks to you both for your input. (I think contractor table saws must be designed for outdoor use.)Larry

Reply to
LDR

My router table is nearly dust free with the DC, but I don't bother using it on my table saw because unless you seal up nearly every opening, you just don't get enough suction to matter. I got a canvas bag that attaches with snaps from HF for $3 ; it catches about half the stuff, but obviously does nothing for the dust thrown forward. I think you need an overhead collector for that.

Reply to
Toller

Check out this website on converting a Harbor Freight dust collector to a cartridge system. I have done the conversion and it works really well. I sealed as best I could my table saw and it works well. I also have use it with my thickness planer and orbital sander. I'm only an occassional woodworker but I think the system certainly would work well for a small production shop. I also use a ceiling mounted air filtration system made from a salvaged furnace blower. It also seems to do the job.

Jim

Reply to
JAMES M. PRENDERGAST

I just checked the Wynn Environmental filter home page. Because of demand for upgrading dust collectors they have a new series of filters that lead to an easier upgrade. I with that I had not already upgraded because I'm using the taller filter and I have a difficult time moving it in my low ceilinged basement (with hanging heat ducts). The new filter goes on with no modifications to the dc unit and the filters are considerably shorter (only about 23 inches). Now you have choices.

Jim

Reply to
JAMES M. PRENDERGAST

Jim's commenary is right on the money. The HF machine has a 30 micron bag which, in dust terms, makes those particulates the size of a cat and it does little for the one mic stuff, which is what is eating your sinuses and your lungs. You have a multitude of approaches to take here. You could box off the underside of the TS and attach a toilet flange at which you attach your DC. The MS is a bear to control but with a catch box attached to your DC it will be far better than a bare-knuckles saw. Now, another avenue is to use an air cleaner to clean up the air. You say that you have a squrrel cage fan so you could build a filtration table to cycle the air thru some smaller micron sized filters available at HD and Lowes (3-M brand) and back into the workspace. Here's a link to Woodcraft.com for a downdraft sanding table but you could simply implement this with your MS collection system, jsut leaving it on to draw air in and filter it.

The others that I've seen are much larger designs so do a search for another if you like. I was going to hook you up with a link but I've lost it - time to clean up my Links and Favorites. Good luck!

"LDR" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net...

Reply to
C & M

I have a Delta CS and they make a plate that goes on the bottom and has a 4" DC connector. Gets 95% of the underside dust but you still get the top dust.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My experience is the opposite! I have the HF dust collector and made a hopper for the bottom of my Delta CS and it gets all the dust off the bottom, and some from the top, none of the cabinet is sealed. If I added an over arm guard my bet is it could collect near 100%. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I bought the HF unit for $159. from their web special at the store. I didn't hook it up until the cartridge arrived from wynn about a week later. It's got plenty of suction, more than I expected, reasonably quite, although not enough to leave on ALL the time. The motor pulls a steady 8-9 amps according to a meter I own.

I'm happy with it, I bang on my filter to knock the dust out once in a while when walking by.

Alan

Reply to
arw01

I bought the ShopFox 1.5 hp and couldn't be happier...from these good people

Tina

Thats true, but the bag gets 90% of the underside dust and it is alot quieter. I expect I lose more through the various holes than you do, but most of it goes straight down into the bag.

Reply to
Toller

Wow, soo many HF fans here. I guess I should have looked closer. Nah - I am very happy with the Grizzly and it fits with taht budget. See

luck

Reply to
No

wishing at best on their HP rating, it is really 1.5 HP so compare it to this one,

. When I bought my collector I considered this one but figured they were so similar that the HF unit won out for 1/2 the price. Don't knock the HF unit until you get to look one over. It is above HF's usual quality. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I was faced with a similar problem late last year. I got the 1 1/2 hp Woodtek system from Woodworkers Supply and have been very happy with it. They now provide 1 micron bags as part of the original purchase. I don't believe anyone who says they catch 100% of the dust, but I'm definitely catching at least 90% on all tools and my coughing and asthma symptoms have stopped. I also got the small build-it-yourself air cleaner from Penn State ($115) -- the proof here is on the filter.

You'll need to build or buy appropriate hoods for each machine. I sealed the bottom of my contractor's tablesaw with plywood and an integrated dust hood. Built hoods from plywood or masonite for my chop saw, planer, router, bandsaw and drill press. Will be making a downdraft table body soon (haven't been doing much sanding the past few months, but the time rapidly approaches).

With time, I obtained metal ducting cheap and added gates for each machine (these can also be built easily). The tablesaw, planer, jointer and bandsaw are on mobil bases and all share one duct site/gate.

Be sure you have adequate wiring for your needs.

Reply to
richlife

Reply to
Pat Barber

I have a friend with a similar situation. He made his workshop downstairs in a corner of the basement. Once he finished the basement the workshop become fully enclosed with no ventilation.

When he purchased a dust collector for the tools, he installed the DC in the garage, and ducted fromt the basement to the garage. He also installed a blast gate in the ceiling. He found that opening the ceiling gate removed most of the dust. For his setup has been very effective.

For your $300 max budget you should be able to find a decent unit from e.g., Grizzly or Penn State Industries. Look for the maximum flow at the rated head. Some units have greater flow at no head, but less flow than others at maximum head. The need to install ductwork means we always run the DC at some head, which increases as dust gathers on the bags.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke