HF brad nailer

Ditto that...I got mine for 10 bucks about 6 years ago also....still works fine. I also have one that came with a small compressor I purchaed but have never had a need to even get it out of the box.
MArk

Thanks guys. I went to the other HF (not quite as local but still less than an hour away) and they had the gun in stock ($20). It is an oiled combo brad/stapler gun. It'll hold up to 2" brads. I brought it home, read the manual and shot a few 1" brads. It's everything I need for now.
Ed

I typically don't cut corners on nail guns. I do however have a HF staple gun that I bought for a specific job and figured that if it lasted past that I would be ahead of the game. It still works and I am still happy with it. If you are going to be an occasional user I'd say go for it. Worst case, you use it a lot and it eventually fails, then you up grade.
And uh Nailshooter is the guy to listen to concerning these particular type tools. Robert the Bostich framer that I bought per your recommendation is doing great and is building more fences than I actually like to do. Now if only there was a post hole digger that could see cables and pipes before you begin to dig.

Post hole diggers are the one tool I always hope are broken when I go to get it. The same goes for digging bars. They always seem to be in good shape, though.
Ed

Glad that bad boy is still getting it done for you, Leon. Think how many nails you put in a fence shooting on pickets...
Pretty good testimony for Bostitch.
Post hole diggers.... ouch. I am going to repair my own fence soon, and the "widow makers" haven't seen the light of day in a while. Not looking forward to that task!
Robert
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 20:19:56 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

One man gas powered auger. Then the post hole digger cleans out the last bit of dirt. Well with a trip to the rental place.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
(sixoneeight)@hotmail wrote:

How well those work depend _a lot_ on the type of soil. Here in central Indiana, our soil is mostly clay. Those powered augers work just fine in *dry* clay -- but in *wet* clay, all they do is screw the auger down into the soil. You're better off digging by hand.

The post hole diggers I have seem to fit my wife's hands better than mine:-)
cm

Exactly, we have clay, gumbo in Houston and the gas powered tend to get stuck if you are not very careful.
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:25:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Was not my experience YMMV.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
"Markem" wrote:

Make mine the two (2) man version along with two (2) guys from the day labor pool located on the corner.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Agreed, for a few holes.
In my area there are a number of contractors with hydraulic augers that mount on a backhoe/mini excavator's boom arm. The going rate is about $10 per hole. The minimum number of holes vary but it's usually between 6 and 10. In my opinion it's worth the expense.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Agreed, or as Jack suggested just rent a backhoe auger. A buddy of mine and I recently drilled eight 24" holes into the dry Austin Texas clay and limestone with a two-man 12" auger. Oh. My. GAWD. I may just be a wimp, but that was the most physically demanding thing I've ever done.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Yup the 2 man augers are just as much work.

Actually I have used them and prefer the standard manual labor post hole digger. The gas operated ones are no better at detecting under ground cable or pipe. Had I been using one on the last 2 jobs I would have been in a hellofa mess.
"Leon" wrote:

It's up to you to check with the utilities before you dig.
Lew

I did check with the local utilities. In fact the local water and sewer will only locate up to the meter. From the meter to the house you are on your own. Additionally unless going over 16" deep there is no requirement to request a location. I cut a cable line 6 weeks ago at 12". I paid them to repair the section however they attempted to charge me for a complete 100' replacement. It appears that they were lucky that I reported the cut and paid for the repair at all as I really did not have to call at all and they showed up past the required wait period to mark their line.
Leon wrote:

The "call before you dig" laws vary by state. In NY there is no > 16" stipulation. The only exception to the law is farming.
There are some places where the transcontinental fiber optic cable that I'm responsible for is at a depth of only 4" deep to cross over other utilities.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Four inches?! I can understand not wanting to mess with the other utilities, but we've had vehicles make that deep of impression trying to cross our wet yard.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Yeah, but hopefully there aren't 4' sewer lines or similar buried a few more inches under your yard. :)