Henkel Harris finish ie. M.I.L. wants to kill me

I need help with this one. Over the weekend I was helping my Father in Law carry in some boxes. I asked him where he wanted me to put it. He told me to put it on the dining room table, so I did. I was very careful to set it and not slide it. Later the Mother in Law came in and asked who put the box on the table. I told her that I had, and thankfully my F.I.L. spoke up and told her that he had told me to. She read him the riot act and told him to move it. He went over and yep you guessed it, slid to box off of the $6000.00 Henkel Harris table. As it turned out there were some staples in the bottom of the box and it scratched the finish on the table. Well now I feel like cr@p, even though I did what I was told. There are seven or eight scratches in the finish only, they are not down into the wood. I am not sure what the finish is, it is a matte finish. I am not sure if it is shellac, or some other finish. If you look at the finish in the ligh, you can see very fine scratches in the finishh with the grain, I am guessing that the finish was wet sanded after it was applied. Does anyone happen to know what Henkel Harris used for finishing, and have any suggestions on how to fix this. I was thinking maybe wet sand and then wax/buff, but I am afraid that this would mess up the matte finish. I know that they could send it back to Henkel Harris for repair, but that would be very costly. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Call you local furniture store and ask for the phone number to the person that repairs the small scratches and finishes on their furniture. Generally it is an outside service. The person can fix your problem, in your house, quickly.
Wow, I find myself agreeing with Leon, hmmmm.
Anyway, yes, hire a professional. Call where the table was bought, call the manufacturer, this will be money well spent.
Thanks,
David.
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:26:50 GMT, Rob Ritch

Their finish is quite remarkable - beautiful & durable. You should not try to fix it yourself unless you want to end up on your MIL's slist forever and it wouldn't be wise take it to just anyone to get it repaired. It'd be like taking your Rolls down to Maaco to have them take out a few scratches. Call Henkel Harris first. They can enlighten you about the finish and might well be able to recommend someone in your area to do the repairs.
Kiyu