Help needed. Building an arched doorway

Hi, A little off subject I know but I always get a great response from this group. I want to widen a doorway and arch it out. I know that products are available to form the arch but I can't see it being that difficult to make the arch out of scraps lying around the shop and then dry walling over it.Plus, as always, I want to save a couple of bob. Any help and suggestions appreciated. Mike

Reply to
miey

JBC77

Reply to
miey

Around here, builders make the vertical arch sides of ply, fill in under with short pieces of 2x4, 1/4 drywall on the 2x4 pieces.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Reply to
nospambob

Easiest is probably to widen the door way then make a plywood insert with the arch you want, face the curved arch with the bendable plywood, install between/over the studs and then skimcoat with spackling OR put a thin piece of drywall over the plywood

John

Reply to
John

Hi Mike, I have done this before. It consisted of 3 arches. Center one ,1 ft taller than the 2 sides. Came out very strong. It replaced a wall that to my surprise had contained a double pocket door I found during demo. This was done on the bottom floor of a triple decker. Not a bit of movement in the five years I remained living there.

Figure the radius you want for the inside and don't forget the sheetrock covering it. Using 2X4 or 6 (whatever). Score a cut at a depth approx 1/2 the thickness of the stud at the desired radius from the end of the workpeice. Clamp to a true flat surface (lathe bed). Raise peice up until the sawcut closes up and you will get the spacing for the sawcuts you just made 1 of, to acheive the radius you desire.

When I did this, I left 1 1/2 ft of straight stick below and put a half lap to marry the rest of the upright to.

Reply to
<Gepitto>