Help Explain Please

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 08:44:33 -0700 (PDT), GarageWoodworks

Those two require membership, and $60/yr for that ain't happenin'.
I got their email this morning and choked up with the 'stick as a guide to set the TS blade parallel with the fence.'
-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London
.
wrote:

I do not use a dial indicator in the (wood) shop and I will put up my results against anyone's. No test cuts needed. Done entirely by feel. I do have a couple of dial travel indicators, one test indicator and a couple of dial calipers in the shop. Rarely ever used

I, on the other hand, use dial indicators sometimes (if I want to adjust a tablesaw fence a few thousandths left or right, it's easiest), and dial calipers (a 12" caliper is VERY nice for woodworking) and gauge blocks and story sticks and tape measures and feeler gauges and meter sticks and micrometers and gauge pins and a measuring microscope.
Sometimes the results are best if done by feel; that's why I use feeler gauges to check dovetail fits. It tells me that the fit is off, and also HOW FAR it's off. One adjustment, then straight into production.