Harbor Freight, my first visit

A couple of weeks ago I had time to kill between appointments so I visited HF for the first time. It was better than expected, with some cheap crap and some fairly good items at good prices. I had a 20% coupon so I bought the variable speed multi- tool for $31 and change. A few days later, I found myself in need of a tool of that sort. It did the job and did it well. I had to cut the caulk where it was between siding trim and the first deck board I was removing. I'm replacing my 25 year old PT deck boards with tiger wood. (Goncalo Alves)

It may not perform as well as the $100+ tools, but it did what I needed at a good price. I don't see myself using the tool every day so I could not justify spending a lot.

I don't see them replacing a really good shop like Coastal Tool, but they do serve a purpose.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What makes you think the HF tool won't perform BETTER - or at least as well - as the high-priced spread? Is your opinion based solely on price? Reputation?

Wait until you've had to undercut a door jamb or remove a piece of molding that a saw can't reach or any of dozen other jobs for which the tool itself is perfect. Then consider the price as being the reason you HAVE the tool.

It all works out.

Reply to
HeyBub

I said it "may" not. I did not say "does" not.

My skepticism is based on use. It had a lot of vibration in the hand. Of course, I expected some, but this was more than expected. The cutting tool loosened up for times during the job. I thought the force needed was high.

Never having used the high priced spread, I can't say for sure if it is better or worse. It easily met my expectations for a $31 tool and got the job done. If I paid $119 or more, I'd have been disappointed in its performance. At the price, it is a good value.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In previous posts it has been mentioned that the HF multi tool will loose it's grip of the cutter and vibrates such that your hands may tingle afterward. Not every one experiences that so, are you feeling lucky today? :~) The Fein does not have that problem and or present a hit or miss performance experience.

HF is what it is. If it has something you need to use once or twice or on occasion it may be just right for you. If not you can do better.

Reply to
Leon

If you paid $119 for it you would have an expensive tool that you use once per year taking up space in your toolbox. The HF tool will do the infrequent job well, and you will have money for the money to but the expensive tools that you use daily. I have been very satisfied with the stuff that I have bought at HF.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Right. Like any other story you have to pick and choose. I have their upper end mult-tool. Once you realize you have to crank the blade nut down good and tight it does most of its intended work (and some other stuff) well.

I have posted here about my HF mortiser a few times. It was a guilty, low cost splurge at $99 about ten years ago. Guilty because I left the store thinking I hand just thrown the money away on a tool I would be unhappy with. The material hold-down hardware sucks. The surface of the bed is cheap vinyl covered particle board. It has good power, The plunge mechanism is good but the handle is cheezy. The four bits that came with it are actually quite good. At the end of the day, it cuts square holes and if you take care with rigging your own hold down it works quite well. If I had paid $350 - $400 for it I would be very unhappy. But at $99 I probably got a little more than I paid for.

HF is a great source for expendable gloves, wire ties, etc.. I have a couple of their cheap nail guns and they are fine. In fact my 18ga gets about as much use as its Porter Cable companion.

I wouldn't touch any of their heavy woodworking or metal working tools with a 10' pole.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

It is all about pre-selection. If it feels and looks like crap.... don't buy it!

Reply to
Robatoy

This is the second time in my life that I could really use such a tool. The first time was a half dozen years ago and I used a hand saw.

If I used it every day, I'd not hesitate to buy the Fein. For the half hour of use I cage it, it was a good value for the cheap-o. Now that I have it, if I find more uses, I'll upgrade.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Exactly! But unless you have had the good stuff in your hands you may never realize what you are missing. LOL

Reply to
Leon

But you know. ;~) now that you have it you will use it more.

When the Domino first came out I thought I would probably use it as much ad my previous biscuit cutters. In 20 years I probably used 2000 biscuits. In the last 5 years I have probably used, well I am on my second replacement case of 5 mm Domino's. IIRC the initial assortment set of Domino tenons included 600 5mm dominoes. The replacement cases have 1800 dominoes. Not to mention the replacement case of 6mm tenons.

So I have probably used 4,000 dominoes in all sizes and double that number for the mortises that were cut to receive them. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:23:30 -0500, Leon

Yabbut, the Domino is fun to use, maybe not so much after 4000 of the little buggers, but fun anyway.

I can remember the first time I used my new biscuit joiner. There was never any fun there, not even in the beginning.

Reply to
Dave

The no tear out hole is addicting!

Reply to
Leon

It doesn't. Stop being silly. It's great for the price and that is all.

Put it this way.... Give it a $100 price and put it in the same store as any other $100-ish multitool. Who will choose the HF? No one.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That was the experience with the cheap drill press I bought. I never had a drill press before and now find a barely use my hand drill.

I would like to have a drill press with a little larger throat, to be able to cut large thicknesses.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Sure, what you say is true, but good tools make the job much easier. It does not take a lot of money either. Take that #2 Phillips screwdriver. After 100 screw, tell me if you want the $1.50 one or the $8 model with the better contoured handle.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 6/23/2012 1:28 PM, Steve B wrote: ...

There's a point at which skill level (or, more precisely, lack thereof) pretty much negates the quality of the tool. After a point, then the talent can make use of the tool's full capabilities.

A rank novice will not make a Strad sound like anything more than what they will get on a starter...give each to an experienced violinist and the difference will be clearly evident.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yep, instrument "tone" has many components, but none more important than the _hands_ of the artist.

Reply to
Swingman

I want the impact one. ;-)

Reply to
krw

A $8 screwdriver is good but an electronic screwdriver is better for small jobs, for big jobs a geared down hand drill is better.

Reply to
knuttle

Perzactly. Do analyze the tools before you buy 'em. Often, the mid-priced tool is the best all-around value.

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques