Harbor Freight - Extended Warranty

That's right, HF is now offering extended warranties. Got to the cash register the other day with a ten dollar electric buffer and the clerk asked if I wanted to buy an extended warranty for it. I started laughing and he took that as a no. I think the price was in the neighborhood of what I'd just paid for the buffer.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I got that a 3 years ago on a power planer. I had bought it for 20.00 and laughed to when asked. I said if it last a month I'll be surprised. The thing is still going strong. I bought it to plan down some studs to even them up with existing old ones. Didn't want drywall to bulge. Used it many times to plane doors. It's like a Timex.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:X3xSj.5747 $Bd1.2975@trndny09:

My friend calls his garage the "Central Oklahoma Military-Industrial Complex". He does a LOT of work in carbon- and glass-fiber stuff. He goes through Dremel-style grinders about one every two weeks. The schmutz he grinds just eats up the bearings and brushes. The Sears Craftsman stuff was great for a while but now they won't warrantee it any more because they claim "excessive and extraordinary use". HF still hands them over, but he rotates stores so he doesn't go to the same one too often.

Reply to
Smaug Ichorfang

I had a lathe (knock off of a Jet/Delta 14") that had the motor go out on it. I dropped by my local HF and asked if they could order the motor for me. The manager asked if I had an extended warranty? I said no and that I had bought it from the mail order branch about three years ago. He said, "Tell you what, you buy a two year warranty and I will replace the entire lathe." Not being born yesterday, I took home a new lathe cheaper than I could have purchased the motor.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I have seen stuff hauled in that looked like it had been dragged behind the customers truck.

'Course, I've seen stuff carried out that looked like it was dragged across the Pacific. But yes, I do shop there for stuff I expect to kill pretty quickly. I'd rather kill a $10 buffer I might never use again than buy a $150 Brand. And, as someone else noted, some of it just won't die.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser