Harbor Freight 6" jointer

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:28:57 -0500, Everett Cotton

For what you're describing the Delta benchtop will work fine for $169.99 from Amazon. Just keep a coat of wax on the table. Not the greatest jointer in the world but it works as long as you take the time to beat the fence into submission.
But if you're making turning blanks for spindle turning you don't really need a jointer--a band saw will do everything you need unless you're laminating the blanks from several pieces.
Many thanks for all that has replied. On reading the replies I have decided to black list the Harbor Freight jointer. My original gut feelings was the same as most of the repliers. Some suggested a band saw, I have been using a band saw. However it is very slow and harder to use than a jointer. I also have other needs for the jointer.
Again many thanks for all of the replies.
Everett
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:28:57 -0500, Everett Cotton

I have owned and used a HF 6" rabbiting jointer for 10 years now. I have never had ANY problems with it. One of my favorite hardwoods is IPE' and I have planed hundreds of linear feet on my HF jointer without a problem. If you are not familular with IPE it is the hardest wood I know of. It is so dense it sinks in water. Besides IPE, maple and walnut I have also turned countless feet of kiln dried fir into very decent looking stock for shop / pantry shelves.
I own other harbor freight "crap" and several high quality woodwording tools (Powermatic cabinet saw, Delta RAS...) and I would pronounce the 6" rabbiting jointer the exception to the HF rule! It is one of my most used tools. Practically every project starts out on this jointer.
The fence does not have a positive stop at 90 degrees but you set it once with a square and it stays put. My only regret with this jointer was that I didn't buy the 8" version when they were a lot cheaper way back when. I have used an oliver direct drive 12" jointer quite a bit and it is much much nicer but it doesn't really give any better finish than the HF.

P.S. I have been searching ebay for the ten years I have owned this jointer for an upgrade and have yet to find a jointer reasonablly priced in my area. Save your money and buy the harbor freight jointer. Then use your extra cash to buy a nice planer. Don't buy a HF planer I owned one of there 15" planers for a week and sent it back. I later found a used sunhill 15" planer locally. A HF jointer paired with a good planer opens up a new world of woodworking. Taking rough stock and making the exact dimensions you want is a real blessing. Before owning a jointer and planer I always had problems with the stock I purchased from the hardwood store being slightly different thicknesses.