Happy 20th, Nahm

to all the Norm-bashers out there:

Up yours, ya jealous bastuhds. Most of you couldn't carry Norms' tool belt.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Happy Anniversary, Norm!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Nahm will be doing a 9-episode custom kitchen this season so we should get all te answers we ever needed on cabinet building. I guess Morash needed a new kitchen. My only question will be to see how nice all those cabinets look with millions of brads shot into every conceivable location. Old Nahm probably shoots about 100 brads per episode.

Old Nahm surely inspired me and I'll always be grateful to him. I am looking forward to his final episode this season where he will do a 9 step finish process to a pine and maple side table to "make it look

100 years old". He has come a l>

SonomaProducts.com

Gee, just look how nice your post sounds when you take all the derogatory "brad nail" and "stain that looks like paint" comments out. Damning with faint praise is what you sounded like. You could even have saved some bandwidth, too.

Reply to
LRod

That is certainly a pretty good run. Sad thing is, it doesn't seem that long ago.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well I generally like Norm but this new kitchen episode is kinda shocking. Looks like a first episode 20 years ago rather than a 20th year one.

I noticed:

  1. He used the PC plate joiner to join the face frames to the cabinet carcass and used no dust collection or dust bag while using the plate joiner. Saw dust went straight up in the air everywhere. Makes the PC plate joiner look like a very messy tool.

  1. I guess because of poor design of the face frames he had to use veneer on the front of the bottom shelf of the cabinet because the face frame does not cover the bottom shelf completely. The completed cabinet shown on the floor, the bottom face frame rail is about 3/8" lower than the bottom shelf. Add to that, the shot showing clamp up is not the same cabinet shown finished. I guess they have a plan that has not been mentioned yet. I guess they are going to have inset doors and will allow for the bottom shelf to stop the door. Looks screwed up to me.

Reply to
Leon

I think Nahm said he planned the face fram/shelf bottom to provide the stop for the inset door.

Jack

Reply to
EWCM

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I probably missed that, still I would have put a stop at the top and out of sight.

Reply to
Leon

Congratulations to you, Norm. I have lots of good memories of shutting off the shop on a cool rainy day and settling down with a beer and NYW and TOH. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I don't recall Norm using any brads in this episode, or at least not that they showed. The cabinet bottem was held with glue and screws, the face frames were put together with glue and pocket hole screws and then glued to the cabinets.

Any> Nahm will be doing a 9-episode custom kitchen this season so we should

Reply to
Karl

I noticed that Norm seems to be using a new Dado set this season, anyone have any idea who makes it and perhaps what model. It comes in what looks to be a sturdy carrying case with the main blades and shims on one side and the chippers on the other.

Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Reply to
Karl

If the case was red, it's a Freud. Yet considering the sponsers of the show, I would expect a the new Dewalt with black tape over the logo.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

At the risk of rising to the (regularly recurring) motions of a Garcia/Mitchell 500, Norm is the only guy I know who can actually do something useful with his tools. (Stop with the snickering, you juvenile wankers...) Although I've never built anything from the show, I have watched every episode of NYW and most of the TOH series. I have propped up their sponsors with many purchases, however, so I suppose he is doing his job. Yet compared to the deluge of utterly superficial and narcissistic BS on television, Norm and Silvan et al. are a breath of fresh air. Even though I've already done the kitchen remodel thing, and was rather disappointed to see than the majority of this year's episodes are about remodeling Morash's kitchen, I'm still waiting for 10:30AM Sunday to add the 20th season to my CD collection.

All eminently more pleasant than your average pettifogger or politico.

An unmarked black envelope showed up in my postal box 5 years ago. It turned out to contain my most prized possession; a signed photo of the Nahm himself: (Which is WAAAY better than the photos of Newt Gingrich with which I line the bird cage and wipe up spilled shellac.)

have religiously followed his sage advise for the past 6 years - to the chagrin of everyone I know. Went to Old Sturbridge Village this summer despite not being particularly fond of the style of many antiques.

Maybe someone could convince PBS to buy the rights to broadcast the older WoodWorks episodes as well. I'll certainly never pay the toll required to watch the DIY ad network.

Happy 20th Norm - Seriously. Here is hoping for 20 more.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Well, I guess I'm not a classic builder, but then, who is? It seems to me it's just another tool which "classic builders" of yore didn't use because they didn't have them. Reminds me of an argument used in ham radio by some people who claim that "Q" signals (three letter abbreviations for various common phrases) were invented for CW (Morse code) and shouldn't be used in voice communications. BS! I say. They were invented when CW was the only mode--phone capabilities woudn't be developed for another 50 years.

Actually, I thought he's really progressed in the last ten years. He used to do nothing but stain and poly (sending Norm bashers into orbit faster than the brad nails), but he's used his five (or four or six) step process a lot in recent years--aniline dye, sealer, glaze, filler, wipe on (as opposed to brush on), and sometimes a shellac thrown in there somewhere. No, he's never done a French polish, but who among us has?

I appreciate your response. I'm sensitive to Norm bashing because I think the very fact that there are sufficient woodworkers to populate the wreck and the dozens (well, many) forums is due in large (very large) part to his presence and inspiration.

Reply to
LRod

Yeah, ;~) I also noticed that the TS and miter saw were still looking like they were eager to cut their first boards.

Reply to
Leon

I have noticed that TOH is going strong with Festool these days.

Reply to
Leon

I'll agree, Norn and the Silvan brothers are still very credible. I have been recording the American Woodshop with Scott ????. He has been around a very long time also and seems to be going backwards, fast. I am sure he could perhaps out do me but the stuff on his show reminds me of the other guy on WoodWorking, not David on Woodworks, the guy that insists on calling his SCMS a Radial Arm Saw. Scott built and donated 2 library tables to an old hotel that is being renovated and turned into a library. The guy in charge insisted on completely covering the table tops with stone after Scott "slopped" on 3 coats of Shellac and a coat or two of varnish on the tops. From a distance the tables looked "OK" without the stone tops hiding the finish.

Yeah!

Reply to
Leon

Regarding th brads and a "classic builder" I was really just saying Norm is perfectly OK with filled nail holes and this is kind of a finish carpenter attitude vs a furniture builder. Seeing a filled nail hole, to me, is not something you should find on a piece of furniture. Maybe it's OK on a kitchen cabinet but will you see any nail holes on a Darrel Peart table or chair?

Finally, even though I was woodworking prior to Nahm's show I'm not sure I would have turned an early profession into a life passion withouth his influence.

L> On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:35:02 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

What about thin strips of wood or moldings that hold glass in place?

Reply to
Leon