Happy 20th, Nahm

Page 1 of 3
http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080105/ENT/801050403/1031
And to all the Norm-bashers out there:
Up yours, ya jealous bastuhds. Most of you couldn't carry Norms' tool belt.
B.
Happy Anniversary, Norm!
Nahm will be doing a 9-episode custom kitchen this season so we should get all te answers we ever needed on cabinet building. I guess Morash needed a new kitchen. My only question will be to see how nice all those cabinets look with millions of brads shot into every conceivable location. Old Nahm probably shoots about 100 brads per episode.
Old Nahm surely inspired me and I'll always be grateful to him. I am looking forward to his final episode this season where he will do a 9 step finish process to a pine and maple side table to "make it look 100 years old". He has come a long way from those first few seasons where everything got a nearly black stain that looked like paint.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:37:13 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Gee, just look how nice your post sounds when you take all the derogatory "brad nail" and "stain that looks like paint" comments out. Damning with faint praise is what you sounded like. You could even have saved some bandwidth, too.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Tone can easily be lost in email and chat. Sorry it sounded that way. Norm is someone I really look up to. I do make jabs at him about his use of the brad nailer. Many times the use of a clamp and a caul and a little waiting can keep from having filled holes. Norm is moving fast for the cameras so he put nails holes in pieces a classic builder would never think of. He also isn't really known for his finishes but I really am hoping to learn something from him on the finishing techniques because I'm sure he can do an awesome job if he puts some thought into it.

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:35:02 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"

Well, I guess I'm not a classic builder, but then, who is? It seems to me it's just another tool which "classic builders" of yore didn't use because they didn't have them. Reminds me of an argument used in ham radio by some people who claim that "Q" signals (three letter abbreviations for various common phrases) were invented for CW (Morse code) and shouldn't be used in voice communications. BS! I say. They were invented when CW was the only mode--phone capabilities woudn't be developed for another 50 years.

Actually, I thought he's really progressed in the last ten years. He used to do nothing but stain and poly (sending Norm bashers into orbit faster than the brad nails), but he's used his five (or four or six) step process a lot in recent years--aniline dye, sealer, glaze, filler, wipe on (as opposed to brush on), and sometimes a shellac thrown in there somewhere. No, he's never done a French polish, but who among us has?
I appreciate your response. I'm sensitive to Norm bashing because I think the very fact that there are sufficient woodworkers to populate the wreck and the dozens (well, many) forums is due in large (very large) part to his presence and inspiration.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Regarding th brads and a "classic builder" I was really just saying Norm is perfectly OK with filled nail holes and this is kind of a finish carpenter attitude vs a furniture builder. Seeing a filled nail hole, to me, is not something you should find on a piece of furniture. Maybe it's OK on a kitchen cabinet but will you see any nail holes on a Darrel Peart table or chair?
Finally, even though I was woodworking prior to Nahm's show I'm not sure I would have turned an early profession into a life passion withouth his influence.
Long live the Nahm!

Regarding th brads and a "classic builder" I was really just saying Norm is perfectly OK with filled nail holes and this is kind of a finish carpenter attitude vs a furniture builder. Seeing a filled nail hole, to me, is not something you should find on a piece of furniture. Maybe it's OK on a kitchen cabinet but will you see any nail holes on a Darrel Peart table or chair?
What about thin strips of wood or moldings that hold glass in place?
Yep, there is always the exception. I am sitting next to a book case with just that detail and I designed the glass hold strips to be on the inside of the door so I wouldn't see the nails. But you won't see any nails in any of the applied molding.

I don't recall Norm using any brads in this episode, or at least not that they showed. The cabinet bottem was held with glue and screws, the face frames were put together with glue and pocket hole screws and then glued to the cabinets.
Anyone notice that the garage which Norm was in looks like same place that he did the 2 episode garage make over in.
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Yeah, ;~) I also noticed that the TS and miter saw were still looking like they were eager to cut their first boards.

    A couple weeks ago, I watched the NYW where he builds his mailbox, and puts it out in front of his house with 4 or 5 other mailboxes. Great, fine, etc.     Immediately following NYW was Ask This Old House, where they "got a letter from a viewer who wanted a better way for the mailman and visitors to see his house numbers."     So they pull up the street to this guy's mailbox - and sure enough, right there is the mailbox I had just watched Nahm build, same street/numbers/colors and all, just a tad worse for the wear.     "A random viewer" - yeah, OK.
    Sean
--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys
typed on a million keyboards for a million years,
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 04:07:20 -0600, Sean S <seans_efn_dotorg> wrote:

Roger Cook even said (something like), "and you know who this is" when he pointed it out.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

That was my thought, but it looks like it could use another makeover.
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

That is certainly a pretty good run. Sad thing is, it doesn't seem that long ago.

Well I generally like Norm but this new kitchen episode is kinda shocking. Looks like a first episode 20 years ago rather than a 20th year one.
I noticed:
1. He used the PC plate joiner to join the face frames to the cabinet carcass and used no dust collection or dust bag while using the plate joiner. Saw dust went straight up in the air everywhere. Makes the PC plate joiner look like a very messy tool.
2. I guess because of poor design of the face frames he had to use veneer on the front of the bottom shelf of the cabinet because the face frame does not cover the bottom shelf completely. The completed cabinet shown on the floor, the bottom face frame rail is about 3/8" lower than the bottom shelf. Add to that, the shot showing clamp up is not the same cabinet shown finished. I guess they have a plan that has not been mentioned yet. I guess they are going to have inset doors and will allow for the bottom shelf to stop the door. Looks screwed up to me.

I think Nahm said he planned the face fram/shelf bottom to provide the stop for the inset door.
Jack

I probably missed that, still I would have put a stop at the top and out of sight.
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Congratulations to you, Norm. I have lots of good memories of shutting off the shop on a cool rainy day and settling down with a beer and NYW and TOH.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I noticed that Norm seems to be using a new Dado set this season, anyone have any idea who makes it and perhaps what model. It comes in what looks to be a sturdy carrying case with the main blades and shims on one side and the chippers on the other.