hand saw blade guards, need a source

Page 2 of 2

Yes. See also the post about the 8' lengths of plastic channel for decorative panels.

I got a bunch of 'em at Sears, lo these many years ago. Don't know if they still have them, though...
To cover my handsaw blades, I've been using vinyl undersill - it's for vinyl siding when you cut the top nailer off & need to finish it off & stiffen it. It comes in 10' sections & I used to just pick up an extra scrap off a job. I actually had to go out & buy a piece for $3 or so a few years back. Still have enough for a couple of saws left.
Not all of it is made exactly the same. Look around a little & try to get the tighter version, if you can. Some is a little boxy & doesn't grip the blade quite as well.
Jim
each and that is

On my little joinery handsaws I just saw a deep slot into a strip of scrap. The strip then slides over to protect the teeth.
On my larger panel saw, I hang it with the teeth bare.
BTW all, Highland hardware delivered the guards nicely but pretty slowly! Ordered on the 3rd, got them on the 12th. They are thick and soft, bendy, easy to cut to size (did it with a chisel), and a bit hard and slow to slide on. Not supremely worth it for the munee.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

OOPS! 11th... sorry.