Hall of Fame/Shame Tool Survey

Page 1 of 3
Just wondering, what brands have you bought that you've been very happy with and what brands are you sorry you bought???
My experience:
Hall of Fame: Bosch, Porter-Cable, Delta, Milwaukee
Hall of Shame: Ryobi, Powermatic, Craftsman
George wrote:

Fame: Craftsman, Porter-Cable, Harbor Freight, Makita, DeWalt, PowerMatic, Delta, Panasonic Shame: Craftsman, Porter-Cable, Harbor Freight     j4
Is so, is not, so, not..... Not much info there

with

Fame:            Shame: Guerciotti        Huffy Taylor            Fender D'Addario        Black Diamond Krupps            Mr. Coffee Glenfiddich        Cutty Sark Toyota            Chevrolet Victorinox        Schrade Johnson-Murphy    Timberland Sony            IBM Polk Audio        JBL Land's End pre Sears    Land's End post Sears

McInturff: Fender

D'Addario: GHS

Bunn: Mr. Coffee

Anything: Chrysler

Hey - talk nicely about JBL!!!
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

How about Fame for Land's End back when they were just for sailors? IMNSHO, they went downhill from there.
I've got a friend who claims all specialty stores eventually wind up as clothing stores :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Sun, 9 May 2004 09:12:12 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Yep. I'm thinking the original Mssrs. Abercrombie and Fitch are spinnin' in their graves like lathes. ;>
M--
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message says...

Amazing...that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the posting you replied to. A&F used to be THE premier sporting goods store in the US. They have gone so far downhill since they once sold Holland & Holland shotguns and Payne and Leonard flyrods. Now they just peddle third world made and Asian made clothing... (like most crap-stores in the country today)
On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:22:41 GMT, Michael Baglio

Right alongside Eddie Bauer.
LL Bean is one of the few outdoor-specialty shops that seems to have added a major clothing line while still maintaining the quality of its outdoor gear. REI is another. Nobody else comes to mind.
John Carlson wrote:

Cabella's.

I'm not sure you can break it down by brand-name. For example, I really like my Porter Cable biscuit joiner, but am somewhat disappointed with my 14.4 v PC drill -- I was shaking plastic parts out of it only 2 years after buying it.
I think each manufacturer has its strong products and weaker ones -- which brand is best probably is also a function of what you are buying (i.e. tool type -- drill, joiner, saw, etc.) as well as brand.

I totally agree. Every manufacturer has tools that belong in both the fame and shame catagory.
I agree but my Porter Cable biscuit joiner is one of the worst things I ever bought, it is an older one, forget the model.

ever
The belt driven one? I have had the 556 IIRC since 1989 and the 557 is a world better.

I went and looked, this is a model 555, belt driven. Problem is the blade is mounted on an incredibly small shaft which flexes ( I guess) and breaks off. Very poor engineering.
Walt Conner

with
after
There is certainly a lot of truth in what you said. Even my "Fame" category includes brands that I have had an isolated problem with but felt they deserved their listing because I have so many great tools from them. Even Delta has a new "junk" line out. The brands I listed under "Shame" wound up there either due to lack of adequate support from the manufacturer/distributor or they were just very poorly made. I almost listed model numbers but decided against it as I was hoping to find reliable brands vs. being a specific buying guide (models change so quickly anyway).
In my experience's I have found that
A) Chevy ----BAD B) FORD ----NOT BAD but NOT GREAT C) TOYOTA----GREAT!!! D) Craftsman great but you must buy the high end stuff E) Delta ----GREAT F) B & D (scrollsaw) Pretty good G)Buck Bros ehhh, SO SO H)RIGID Home depot brand of CRAFTSMAN must buy high end
These are only my opinions, and Yes I have owned both Chevy and Ford, 3 of each and I had more problems with the Chevy's , I have also purchase many Craftsman items and have only had problems with the lower end models. All my high end Craftsman has been very good to work with, I know that time is an issue and I have only had my wood shop since Jan. I bought all my tools new and will know better about Craftsman as time goes by.I do know that Craftsman had a bad period in the 80's and I can only hope that my tools will lasts as long as Craftsman of yesteryear!
Rich AKA Searcher1

with

I wasn't looking for brands of stuff other than tools, but if I included other stuff the top of my list would include:
Toyota -- far and away the least troublesome and least expensive to maintain brand of vehicle I've EVER bought. For appearance sake, I SHOULD replace my Toyota pickup (pre-Tacoma) but it is very hard to part with the best vehicle I've ever bought.
Honda -- the only possible competitor for my next vehicle. Never owned a Honda car or motorcycle but it is listed here because I have two Honda mowers, a Honda tiller, and a Honda snowblower and for 12 years they've all started on the first attempt. Unbelievable!
Nikon -- I have more Nikon lenses than I can count, 5 film bodies going back to 1973, a film scanner, and a digital body. None of them has EVER given me any trouble. As good as Toyota is, Nikon would get my vote for top brand that I've ever purchased.
At the other end of the spectrum, a brand that I'd never buy again is Mazda. Bought one new and spent more than the purchase price in repairs. Totally lost my business for good...quite a bit worse than the Chevys and Fords I've owned.

I have owned an Acura and it was a no nonsence vehicle. Totally dependable. Honda or Acura will be my next vehicle.

all
I have a Honda mower that started its 18th season this year, starts on the first pull after setting up all winter, and the oil still does not get very dirty nor does any disappear.
Couple of years back I was at a fishing camp at Selwyn Lake, on the border of Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories. All the outboard motors were Honda, and the owner said he'd never found anything as reliable.
They were also very quiet (as outboard motors go).
djb