Guidelines for posting FS items

I posted this msg on alt.woodworking group and didn't get a reply how about here?

Thanks, sl

Occasional FS posts for WW equipment are fine. No business or production items.

No hard-and-fast rules, but guidelines that seem to be generally observed:
- Infrequent posts are well-tolerated. Posting different items for sale every day, or worse yet, the *same* item every day, will earn you a place in many killfiles.
- Prefix the subject with "FS" (for sale) or "FA" (for auction).
- Selling your personal equipment, or surplus equipment from your woodworking business, is well-tolerated. If your business is *making* woodworking equipment, shilling your products here may not be so well tolerated.
- There is no moderator. The group is self-policing. If you post a for-sale ad, somebody may call you out for "spamming" -- if several people call *him* out, telling him he's out of line, you're cool, don't worry about it. If a bunch of people agree with him, you probably stepped over a line you shouldn't have stepped over. Apologize, don't do it again, and likely all will be forgiven. Don't apologize, repeat the behavior, and you'll probably be killfiled.
- These could all be summed up in one rule: Don't be obnoxious about it.
:>>What are the guidelines for posting woodworking equipment items for sale? <
To add to Doug's excellent summary, we've had some small-shop vendors who make production runs of dedicated equipment (planes; alignment tools; etc.) make periodic FS posts and descriptions of their wares. What is KEY is they were ALSO regular contributors on areas of wwing other than selling their products. For example, a lot of what I know about steel I learned from Rev. Ron Hock, whose posts here and elsewhere on steel, metals, and toolmaking have been terrific. He also makes and sells fine plane blades, and other stuff. So, if the OP wnts to advertise a small business and its products, make sure to also be aregular community member here and all will be fine. It's the hit and run types that bug some people (ads every month, never heard of the guy otherwise).
-- Andy Barss

I'll be damned, for once I agree with Andy (BTW, where's my fifty bucks?). Speaking of welcomed advertisers, what's the deal with Steve Knight? Went to his site and it looks like he only offers kits now. When did that happen?

I also follow and contribute to a cruise newsgroup and the subject of advertising by travel agents comes up on occasion. What Andy has said is an excellent filter for us all to use when deciding whether someone is being an opportunist or is legitimately offering something that is of interest to the others. Many of the TA's in the cruising newsgroup also alert folk that they're TA's by using a typical sig line that includes their company information. Like about anything else, when someone of good intent uses good judgment in letting others know of their goods or services, most of us really appreciate being occasionally reminded.
--
Nonny

Does ANYONE read alt.woodworking?
Go ahead and post the occasional FS item. If you get to be a pest, we'll slap you.
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:33:17 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

If you think this group gets too much OT crap, try any alt group. Egad!

Or sell his email address to the Devil.
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado

Where's JOAT been, haven't seen a plan posted in a long time? He loved getting e-mail.

Not nearly as much as some of us loved sending it to him. :-)
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

ROFLMAO!
I guess I came to the right group this time! Thanks for the speedy and informative replies. I usually lurk because I'm not really a wood worker but have an interest in what is posted here. I do have a used Schneeberger LK Glue System I have no plans to use and will post it here for sale when I get all the info together. Thanks again, sl
Put your location in the header, otherwise expect to get flames or at least sarcastic replies asking WTF the item is located.