Grizzly vis a vis Tormek?

Anybody have any experience w/ the Grizzly knock-off? A question in another forum made me think of it -- I've been tempted several times with the Tormek but the exorbitant pricing has kept me away. If the Grizzly didn't have excessive runout or other "issues" would seem a pretty good deal and bite the bullet for a couple of the "high-priced spread" attachments.

Reply to
dpb

Oh, intended to attach the link...

The "Specifications" sheet has no data on runout or such, of course. It also notes (as we knew) it is manufactured in China albeit the description page touts that it was "designed in Germany" -- yeah, right! The Tormek model is, of course, Swedish.

Reply to
dpb

I'll sell you my Tormek. Very very little use and with several accessories.

Reply to
Leon

Which model, which accessories? What are you using instead, out of curiosity?

Reply to
dpb

Super Grind 2000

I can sharpen Power Planer Knives/Blades, Chisels, Scissors, Large and Small knives, Hatchet, Chisel/Gouges for the lathe. Plus it has the regular leather wheel and profile leather wheel, grading stone, angle gauge for chisels and plane irons and a cloth cover.

I used to think I was going to sharpen my lathe tools on the Tormek so I have those. Turns out I did not have the patience to learn to use the regular chisels and seldom used the lathe. Then I got a set of the carbide tipped chisels and I use the lathe much much more. Those chisels have almost no learning curve.

Leon

Oh and the tool for restoring the surface to flat should that happen when sharpening lathe tools.

If you are seriously interested I can give you the part numbers of the accessories.

Reply to
Leon

I am going to use a Worksharp 3000 along with the WorkSharp Ken Onion knife sharpener.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:Zp6dndI7EaH3QgvLnZ2dnUU7-N- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A HF 1x30 or better belt sander and some good sanding belts will be very useful. I haven't used the WorkSharp knife sharpener, but it looked like it was basically a belt sander set up.

The WorkSharp is great for chisels and plane blades, while the belt sander handles turning tools and my pocket knife with ease.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yes with a few added features. It will also sharpen scissors, hatchet, ax etc., and or lawn mower blades with out removing the blade

Either way I received both machines as gifts for Christmas.

Reply to
Leon

On 01/13/2016 9:02 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

It's so out-of-balance here it's barely useful for sanding, what more sharpening. I've trued it up some but it needs more attention than I've time to give if it's ever going to run even close to true...and the belt speed is pretty fast imo for sharpening. Rough out, maybe...

Reply to
dpb

You know how much I appreciate a fine edge. I grade my edged tools on the service I expect them to provide, from opening paint cans to shaving.

So for what it is worth, those are two excellent pieces of gear. I have se en screamingly sharp mirror edges put in tools with both of those systems. Good choices. I have almost bit on the Worksharp 3000 several times, but in the end just go back to a Washita/Arkansas soft and a strops when I need a fine edge. I sharpen my chisels free hand and they will shave if that i s the edge I am after, but will readily admit the WS 3000 gets a e dge, and in a shorter time with less effort than I can get.

A word or warning on the KO WS. Another great system, but sacrifice those old kitchen knives first when learning the ins and outs of that machine. I t can be very, very aggressive even with the finer belts. I KNOW you are q uite conversant in the use of instructional videos, but just in case you ha ven't seen this one from Knife Center (great guys to buy knives from!)here is a link, as well as the attendant videos they always stack on the side.

As we spoke at Christmas, I probably spend too much time on Bladeforums. T he guys that have the KO WS love it. Many report shaving edges for the fir st time in the history of their knife ownership. Just remember, you knives won't be ground like a chisel on the WS, which are ground at a certain ang le to your satisfaction.

The KO WS is actually a mini "slack" belt sander that produces CONVEX edges . They have guides on the tool to give an idea of how far back you push th e edges on a convex edge, but regardless of the degree of angle you select you will still have a convex edge. Personally, I prefer a convex edge on m y knives with the exception of one or two specialty blades. Speaking from m y personal experience in sharpening, they hold an edge better for me and ar e easier to maintain since I freehand sharpen, which by its nature creates a convex edge. So the whole slack belt genre is right in my bailiwick.

Just a warning, señor... don't start out with your good stuff. I have se en too many cases of folks grinding their knives down to nothing trying to get even edges, and worse, burn the metal (ruining the temper) because they didn't appreciate how efficient/aggressive that little machine actually ca n actually be. I will be interested to see what you think of it when you g et to grinding with it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Actually......I bought the regular version of the WS knife sharpener for Bryan. He likes it and sharpened Kim's Chicago knives with it. He gave me the KO version for Christmas. I finally used it on my pocket knife and one of Kim's Chicago knives. I adhered to the suggestions to not force it and to move the blade at a certain speed. And chose lower speeds for the belt. With the Chicago knife I handled the it like a loaded gun after feeling the edge.

Actually I did start with the good but knew this would be aggressive so I did follow the instructions concerning feed rate, pressure, and belt speed. I very happy with the tool.

Reply to
Leon

I found the WS3000 on Zoro. Most every one sells the 3000 for $200. They had it for sale at around $235 but had a 30% off coupon with free shipping. So I got if for around $165. I figured the price was not going to get any better than that. I think I bought it on Monday after Thanksgiving.

Anyway we gave Bryan a WS knife sharpener for his birthday and he was pretty happy with it. Hanna, his GF remarked that his knives were much better to use. ;~) He also sharpened Kim's Chicago knives which we have had for about 30~35 years.

Anyway I was impressed and he gave me the KO version for Christmas. I followed the instructions, starting with the medium belt, using a slow grind speed, feeding 1" per second, and not pressing down on the knife. When done with that knife I felt the edge and was compelled to handle the knife like a loaded gun... ;~) And no new curves in the knife edge!

I will say that I was a little surprised that neither model reverses the belt rotation direction for sharpening the other side of the edge.

I'll check that out.

Precicely and probably why it sharpens so much faster, it does not have to reestablish a particular flat angle surface.

OOPS! Too late. ;~) No problem though.....

I was not looking for a visually stunning edge so much as sharp and faster than my other methods of sharpening.

I will be interested

I'm almost afraid to go too sharp, I had to take Kim to the ER when I did that 15 years ago using the Tormek. ;~( She did however test on a tomato and was very very happy.

Reply to
Leon

I sent an e-mail which didn't bounce, Leon...let's at least talk if you do want to unload it.

-dpb

Reply to
dpb

Leon wrote in news:Zp6dndI7EaH3QgvLnZ2dnUU7-N- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

While I'm thinking about it... The WS3000 does require some maintenance. I keep a brush next to the other glass disks to clear the metal particles when I change grits. (I've seen those metal particles start to heat and glow--gotta clear them!)

I've had to take the machine apart a few times to clear out debris that was keeping the spindle from turning at the proper speed. If they had installed a felt pad or something, it'd probably solve that problem. I'd be willing to admit the generic paper may be compounding the problem, so if anyone keeps buying genuine WS paper and doesn't have to do this, I'd like to know.

When you need more of the super fine paper, here it is:

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

IF you really want a Tormek and, like me, cannot afford it, you might try building your own. Here is a jib I made that does, essentially, the same thing. The only down side is, you need a mini-lathe to power it. (more details upon request.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

On 01/15/2016 10:41 AM, Dr. Deb wrote: ...

Clever...unfortunately, I don't have the lathe; never was much of a turner and didn't move it from TN as there wasn't any place dry when we came back to the farm until we got the new roof on the old barn other than a small corner that wasn't room enough for what did bring, even... Have regretted the decision a few times, however...

Reply to
dpb

He could afford mine....it is sitting collecting dust.

Reply to
Leon

On 01/15/2016 12:32 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I contacted you yesterday via your e-mail, Leon(*)...was awaiting a response. Figure this would be better offline...

(*) At least I got no "bounced" return.

Reply to
dpb

I did not get it and some of my posts are not showing up. I AM having internet issues but the technician is suppose to show up this afternoon.

When resounding to my e-mail take "dot" our and insert "."

I am interested in selling the whole set up.

Reply to
Leon