Grizzly vis a vis Tormek?

Jeezzzz When responding, take the "dot" out and insert "." in its place.

Reply to
Leon

On 01/15/2016 12:51 PM, Leon wrote: ...

Had done...resent anyway.

I had presumed that, too.... :)

Reply to
dpb

Go to Oregon and get your commission! :)

Reading the posts this morning, and a quick check on Youtube videos regarding the Knife Sharpeners, I was sold.

Got the Knife and tool sharpener with the fixed degree's and narrow belt. Woodcraft had it for 69.95 everyone else @ 89.95 locally.

Started out on the wife's kitchen knives, serrated steak knives, etc. Something like 20 + Knives in less than an hour and a half and wore out one 220 grit belt. Used a manual strop on those.

Then did my Chicago Cutlery favorites 220 to the 6,000? to my manual strop. My Chef's knife was the dullest and the angle just wasn't quite right on it, so it required a little longer, but now they all feel like they did when I first got them some 40 years ago.

Did a pocket knife and restored a broken tip, plus a cheap knife, big blade, my son had in his car.

I have spent a whole lot more money on other sharpeners, individually, over the years but to me this one is a keeper, easy to use, just watch out so you don't round off the tip, and watch the videos.

The more expensive one just looks better, higher quality and a 1" belt. But I personally did not like the floppy degree settings, beside, to just check it out the cost at 150 bucks compared to 70 it was a no brainer, and a keeper for sure.

Thanks for the heads up. In just over 2 hours I did what previously would have taken a few days a few hours at a time.

Leon got me hooked and you reeled in the line.

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
OFWW

So, dpb, here's a pretty thorough and honest account of a hands-on shootout between a woodworker's Tormek and a Grizzly knock-off over an extended period of time, during which it's interesting to see how his opinion evolved. Check it out and see what you think.

As for myself, I have a Tormek that's about fifteen years old that I bought used in 2005. In my opinion It's one of the best pieces of gear in my shop.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Figure $5 per knife to have them sharpened. Pretty cool, eh?

Reply to
Leon

On 01/17/2016 9:39 PM, tdacon wrote: ...

Actually, it's the Jet rather than Grizzly but that's a "no-never mind" in many ways.

Thanks, appreciate the link; it basically confirmed for at least the Jet what I figure is more than likely true for the Grizzly (and other clones as well) -- there's a reason the Tormek is as expensive as it is (altho I still think it's overpriced for what it is).

Some of the amenities Jet included would be good enhancements for Tormek; no idea whether they've done so but I do know there are at least three or for incarnations since that article.

Reply to
dpb

Sure is, and I told that to my wife so the sharpener comes out of household expense, not my tools money. ;)

Reply to
OFWW

On 01/17/2016 9:39 PM, tdacon wrote: ...

Oops.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

:~). Sounds good however I may sharpen the lawn mower blade with it too, on the mower. I did however use a file the last time I sharpened the mower blade and that went amazingly quick.

Reply to
Leon

As said, still appreciate it -- it's basically likely what the Grizzly review would've said, too, altho perhaps with some slightly different warts.

Looks like moot point as guess Leon and I have come to an agreement offline...

Reply to
dpb

I bought one of the grinder kits from HD for mine, but in Calif we have a lot of rocks in some area's and my reel was hammered pretty bad. I got the blade done ok, and quit there. I prefer the reel type since it will cut damp grass and for several other reasons.

Reply to
OFWW

I had been using my bench top grinder in the past. I found that the file was easier and not much more time consuming. Strang enough the blade is 25 years old and in pretty good shape.

Reply to
Leon

One of my regrets is that I didn't grab my Dad's Simplicity tractor when he died. He had the reel and sickle bar mowers for it, as well as the brush saw, plow, and a few other accessories. That was a nice piece of equipment that I didn't really appreciate until it was gone.

Reply to
J. Clarke

OUCH! But I'd bet you had good reason at the time.

Reply to
OFWW

I was mostly caught up in the vicissitudes of life a thousand miles away--I really should have rented a truck after the funeral but I didn't think to do that until I was back home, and by that time my mother had hired somebody to empty the house for her and . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke