Grizzly Band Saw Riser (Extension) works great with the HD Ridgid Band Saw!!

I wanted to be able to cut my own bookmatched backs/tops for some acoustic guitar projects. Requires one to make at least a 7 1/2 to 8 inch resaw through rosewood, mahogany, etc. A little too much for my 14 inch BS1400 Home Depot band saw which only has a 6 inch resaw capability. Heard here and there the Grizzly "extension" kit (increases resaw capability to 12 inches) would work "fine" on the BS1400. Popped the question to the Grizzly customer service rep. He wouldn't commit to a yes or no--probably company policy.
Bottom line: the Grizzly extension (riser) kit for $50 is a perfect bolt-on accessory for the Ridgid BS1400 band saw. No mods (filing, bending, beating, etc.) required. The kit even comes with a 3/8 inch 105 inch blade to get you up and runnin' fast. For the style conscious; however, the colors do NOT match (Grizzly green/red vs. Home Depot orange/grey)!
For the cynics, yes, it takes a while (think patience) to cut through a 2x8x10 piece of mahogany with the Ridgid band saw (only 3/4 hp). Yes, for production work, it lacks serious horsepower. However, for the resourceful woodworker making the most outta their garage and budget---this is one $50 that will put a smile on your face.
No, I don't work for Grizzly :)
You know I asked the folks at HD about a riser block option when I was considering this bandsaw. They looked in their product selection guide and could not find one listed. I was pleased that you were able to find one that works from Grizzly and thought maybe I will give this tool another look. I downloaded the owners manual to see if the motor could be wired for 240VAC. It cannot, but buried in the back of the book on p. 25 under "Ridgid Recommends the Following Accessories" was listed a Riser Block option with a SKU of AC5005. I don't know how you would order this unless HD has some way of custom ordering it. Either that or call 1-800-4-RIDGID and see what they can do.
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in message

Just a suggestion: the 105 inch that comes with the Grizzly riser is not a great blade. If you get a new blade (say a Woodslicer or a Timberwolf blade), I think you will find that it will resaw your 2x8x10 without much trouble. The cutting speed will probably be much faster, too. This was my experience comparing the stock Grizzly 105" blade with a Timberwolf blade on my 14" bandsaw (resawing a variety of woods for marquetry).
Cheers, Nate
The $10.00 Roller guides from HF are a good addition too if you don't have them already.....