Nailers which one

This is a repost since I never saw the first one.

I'm going to invest in a nailer soon and wondering which kind & who's to get. From watching Norm it looks like he uses a brad nailer more than just a nailer? That being the case which do all of you suggest to purchase without breaking the bank? I'm new at this, well sorta... started WW last winter and now that winters almost here it time to play with wood.

Thanks

Reply to
Woodchuck

Wellll there are several types of nailers. What do you plan to do with it?

Tiny stuff? Pinner, or Pin Nailer Small Stuff, less than 3/4" thick? Brad Nailer

3/4" thick and thicker? Finish Nailer Framing? Framing Nailer Roofing? Roofing Nailer
Reply to
Leon

he seems to use his brad nailer in lieu of clamping. I find its a handy way of keeping things in place while the glue dries.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

I would think mostly in thie range.

Not so much of this.

Nothing like this

Reply to
Woodchuck

"Woodchuck" wrote in news:4154a790$0$250$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.city-net.com:

There has been a recent thread on this. The answer boils down to: "go to your favorite tools dealer, and buy the name brand bundle you feel most comfortable with."

I have Porter Cable. It works. So do the others.

Make sure you can find brads for it easily, and/or buy lots of them. Then remember where you stored them, when you need them.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Do you already have a compressor? If not, you might want to look at the battery operated nailers from Dewalt that were just introduced. They aren't cheap, but they do work. They apparently won't sink 2.5" nails into pallet wood, as one reviewer griped about - but these aren't made for that type of application. I tested one and was really impressed. As far as cordless finish nailers go, this one's the best I've seen. (Note: I've only used the Paslodes and the 18V Dewalts.)

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Reply to
Woodchuck

If price is an object and you won't be using it a lot, look at:

Somewhat better quality from grizzly at
mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

How much is not Cheap?

Reply to
Leon

Woodchuck a brad nailer is a good place to start for small projects. Porter Cable makes two different types, one shoots 5/8 to 1 1/4" 18 gauge brads which are readily available and inexpensive. Another shoots up to 2" 18 gauge nails. I use an older Porter cable BN125 which is the 5/8 to 1 1/4" model and it has served me well for years. For larger jobs which require a finish nailer (1 1/2" to 2 1/2" nail) such as baseboards, casing or crown, I prefer the 15 gauge angled nailers as opposed to the 16 gauge "t" type nailers as the nails are more beefy and have a small head which has better holding power. As far as what brand name, well, I'm a carpenter by trade and have used most of them. I buy PC and Senco. Nothing against the others, just what I prefer. When you get to the toolstore grab a few and hold them. Mock shooting some wood together and see which one will be the best for you. Check if you can see where the gun will place the nail easily. Most of the brad nails are interchangeable with different guns, so you can pick the gun you like without the hassle of finding brand specific fasteners, and most brand name brad guns are around $100. Happy shootin' -dave

Reply to
Dave jackson

Thanks, must of been my lucky day. I stopped at HD and looked at the PC BN200a which was going for $120. I mentioned to them that it had a $20 rebate but was expired. Well he said he would adjust the price. I played around with some scrap wood and was surprised the holding power the brads have. When I start my projects I usually glue the joints... so I think it will do well especially for paying about $50-$80 less than was planed.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Woodchuck look at my post above for a good deal on a PC compressor, brad nailer, finish nailer, and stapler.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Your post isn't visible yet, so my ISP's newsserver may have missed it. But I already have a 60gal 4hp compressor.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Well if you need a portable one here is what I posted earlier under PC Finish/Brad Nailer Comp. Cobo Kit Alert: Word that I'm getting from a reliable source (papers have even been authenticated by an indepandant expert HA HAHAH), is that the Porter-Cable Finish / Brad Nailer Comp. Combo Kit Model CFFN250N is going to be adding a freebie. Starting Oct.1 and running into at least Christmas if you buy this kit, you'll get a coupon for a FREE Porter Cable Porter-Cable NS100A 1" 18 GA Narrow Crown Stapler Kit. I think that is about an $82.00 freebie on an already very decently priced kit. Home Depot carries this item and I believe Amazon.com will be in on this also. I don't know if Amazon will allow this in conjunction with their current $25.00 off of purchases $199.00 or more. That is the scoop!!! If you price all the nailers individually you'll see they cost more than the $299.00 price tag for the kit that includes the 6 gal. pancake compressor. I have a compressor also. I'm thinking about purchasing during this deal and selling off the compressor.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Here's a good one:

like the 16 oz. umm... nailers... myself. :) Almost as fast as an air nailer once you get the hang of it. You actually lose a lot of the joy in framing when you get those loud, heavy nailers going, IMO- a well sunk nail sorta sings when you strike it, but a compressor just makes a lot of loud noise.

To drive smaller nails, sink 'em in with a nail punch- easy as pie, and the round hole looks nicer than the rectangular ones the brad nailers leave.

Reply to
Prometheus

I saw one of those on sale at UBC today for $369. You can probably get them cheaper online, though.

Reply to
Prometheus