Got one of those HD DeWalt drill gloats - but....

Well, I ran over to HD this a.m. bright and early and lucked out - got a 12V XRP DeWalt 1/2" 3 speed cordless drill. It was the shelf demo - still attached to the display with a steel cable. $100. I got it home and decided to fire it up with one of my charged 12V batteries. But, I couldn't get the battery off of the drill. Hmmm.. must be attached somehow to thwart a thief. Maybe screwed on from the inside? I took the motor housing and side housing screws off and as I pulled it apart, the gear box assembly flew out of the drill, hit the floor and exploded into about 25 pieces. Damn! Well, after hours of futzing, I finally got it back together, but the battery is still firmly attached to the drill. Some prodding and probing later, I discovered that they glued the battery in, I think with silicone adhesive. While the drill is now reassembled, the darn battery remains firmly in place. Guess I'll work on it again tomorrow, perhaps with a homemade 90 degree knife to cut the silicone loose.

I am so frustrated with this, I'm tempted to take it back, but, then, I won't have conquered the challenge.

Bob

Reply to
bob

I would take it back...It is going to be difficult to use with a display attached.

Reply to
Leon

I took the drill back to HD and told them I really wanted it, but it would ruin the battery to remove it. I offered them $20 for the drill. They said "how about another battery"? I said "ok". Took it back home, CAREFULLY did some surgery on it to remove the glued in battery (those bastards), which was ruined in the process. Reassembled, and tried it out. Works great!

The things I do to save a few bucks....

Bob

Reply to
bob