Help requested

I'm laying out a new computer desk that I hope to build shortly. I'm not interested in most premade units I see because they are too deep for my needs. I have an LCD monitor so the need for depth is eliminated. As it stands now my depth will be dictated by my flatbed scanner. It actually works out well at that depth for my needs and space limitations.

I plan on putting a keyboard drawer under the desktop surface with a false front that knocks down when pulled out. This will give me serve as the 'center' drawer of the unit. To the right will be a real drawer that will have the same face as the keyboard drawer. To the left of the keyboard 'drawer' will be where my scanner will be stored. This drawer will have a knock down face also. However, it will not have sides or a back to it. Basically, its a pull out shelf. However, I need it to extend fully out beyond the face of the desk to allow the scanner lid to be lifted all the way up. The shelf the scanner sits on will be 1/2". I have seen the keyboard drawer glides which I'll use for the keyboard pullout. These don't seem to allow full extension beyond the face of desk. OK for keyboard, not good for scanner shelf. Does anyone have any ideas of a product that will allow what I'm looking for, plus attach strongly to the edge of 1/2" thick material. I need it to be semi-sturdy and free from excessive vibration when fully extended. I would also like it to 'lock' in it's extended state and not float backwards easily (the weight of the power cord and USB cable in back would do this).

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I looked at Rockler's glides but they are drawer glides and I'm not sure they'll work attached to 1/2" shelf. Plus, there may be a way to make this shelf glide system out of wood, which would be ideal.

Thanks again. CyBrShRk

Reply to
CyBrShRk

Darn, forgot to list depth. Total length of scanner with enough room for cable connections in back is 19".

Thanks!

Reply to
CyBrShRk