Good website or store to purchase router bits

Reply to
nospambob

I have to buy 6 router bits. I have found all the prices on the Rockler website but I have no way to know if they are good prices or not. Most of the web searches I have done show kits of multiple bits. I don't want that - I want the specific bits only. Has anyone found a good website or store (I am in eastern Massachusetts) for me to price compare with Rockler?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

They carry Whiteside bits, prompt shipping, and only $4.95 shipping on any size order. I've spent a few bucks with them.

Depending on how far east you are in MA, there are a couple of Woodcraft franchises. One in Warwick RI, another near Boston and a new one in Springfield. . I don't know of any independents. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Dick...

Try:

Morris Dovey

Block of wood with a bunch of 17/32 holes in it. Can be as simple as a 2 x

4 or 2 x 6 or can be fancy from scraps of hardwood, routed edge and nice finish.

No, 1/2" holes will not do. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed Grant

Reply to
Ed Grant

Fairly quick too. I ordered a cleanout dado bit from them and it only took a few days to arrive.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

My first choice is MLCS (

)!

The bits are a tremendous value. Toss in free shipping and fantastic customer service and ... well, I just don't think you can do any better anywhere at any price.

Reply to
Steve

Ain't that a fact! I built a bit storage box with a false bottom approx. 3/4" above the real bottom. Made one set of holes 1/4" and another set 1/2". Wish I read this post several months ago ;-P

Gary

ps: Answer to the original question

my online vendor of choice for American made bits. I find they're better quality than MCLS.

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

Since you are in eastern MA: Woodcraft is in Woburn and Rockler has a store in Cambridge. The Woodcraft has Whiteside, Rockler has Amana. I'd say the Rockler store's router bit stock and selection is better most of the time, so I tend to go there for this. Both places also sell less expensive house brand bits. If you don't have much experience with a router, I think you'd be smart to pony up for something dependably good, so you'll know what router bits are supposed to work like. Then you can judge for yourself whether cheap bits are a bargain or not.

Reply to
Woodstock

I will second this. I bought a set from MCLS about a 2 years ago. Even though I do not do a lot of routing these bits have worked very good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Davis Jr

I took the time to do a (IMHO) fairly far-reaching comparison of prices amongst the internet vendors for a half dozen of the more common bits I needed: roundovers, spiral upcuts, rabbets, ogee. I checked Woodcraft, RouterBits.com, Rockler, carbide.com (Amana and CMT), Sommerfield.com, MLCS (Regular and Katana), Jesada, and one or two others.

[ It was a slow day at work... ]

What I found is that you won't get a handle on quality that way. And no one vendor consistently had the best price.

In the end - I ended up buying just about everything from one vendor that had quality bits at good prices, decent shipping rates, and a good track record with me.

Reply to
mttt