Good CAD program that isn't AutoCad?

Page 2 of 2

Will Sketchup do Dimensioning? Yes it will and very nicely too. Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO
wrote in message

Thanks.
Sketchup is deceptive in its simple look and makes you feel like its a slick modeling program and nothing more. I didn't really start getting it until I had spent 6 hours with the program. The little program Designcad has a whole toolbar devoted to selecting a wide range of snap functions. Sketchup accomplishes the same thing without having to have a toolbar or menu - its built-in to the way the program works when you draw. Want to snap to a mid point? Just move your pointer past the midpoint of a line and it says "Aha, you must be wanting to turn on snap-to-midpoint function". Want to draw perpendicular to the Y-axis? No need to turn on ortho mode. Just draw the line and kind of move it around until the line turns green and you are on the Y-axis. Want to dimension? Just click the dimension button than drag out a dimension from a part of the drawing where you need a dimension and position it where its most visible (or least obtrusive).
Yeah, I kind of like it, but Designcad is getting more interesting as I learn more about it.
By the way, I sure respect liking the program you've learned and with which you are comfortable. Years ago, I remember having long discussions about the superiority of Wordperfect over Word. Then all the word processing programs got so good, that it didn't matter any more.
I think this could be a religious war, but we won't let it be because we are more interested in building things. :-)
Bob
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:09:19 GMT, "Leon"

It does seem to have a mechanical design component.

You might want to look at "Solid Edge" if into modelling. It has comprehensive tutorials. However, this and other suggested software is WAY overboard for non-trained draftsmen wo want to do simple woodworking design ...unless writing the book. Most is just Tim the Toolman grunting. Try DeltaCad for most purposes.
I was cleaning out one of those O' Sullivan entertainment centers yesterday. It has doors on the bottom that slide open. I have been using it has a bookshelf for all my computer software and books. And I found Autodesks Autosketch Ver. 2.0 and a copy of Generic Cadd Ver. 1.1. Both in 5 1/4" disk format.
Are there still any 5 1/4" floppy drives around? Would like to see if they still work.
Bill
Yes, you can still buy them. About $10.00.

I'm a proponent of DeltaCad. It is quite intuitive and easy to use. You can go to www.deltacad.con and download a 30 day trial version to see if you like before you pop for the big $39.95 to purchase it!
Don Dando

Don Dando wrote:

You
if you

AutoCAD
I have used DeltaCad for years. It is a good 2D drawing package for $40.

I am AutoCAD trained and find it bulky, overpriced and far from intuitive. Who needs 6 ways to draw a line? 3D modelling is cumbersome and to get any rendering performance/shaders/textures/ray tracing you have to buy this and buy that, video cards yadda yadda. To this day, I have NO idea where the hell the reputation came from.
I use Vectorworks. (aka MiniCAD...Mini as in "smaller than a MainFrame") Available for PC or Mac, it exports/imports in all the important file formats like .dwg, .dxf. Full blown 3D, NURBS, the works.
http://www.nemetschek.net /

I do. I use Autocad and Solidworks for a living. There's nothing like having options when you need them.

Not really. My copy of Solidworks 2005 works just fine here without any special attention to the graphics card, though I'm aware it *might* be a problem. For me, it's not.

What reputation?

Me too. I was formally trained for 2 years on paper with a t -square and triangles. While I only use AutoCAD LT now and have never had any CAD training in the 20 years of using CAD programs I have appreciated having the shortcuts and options that help me use what I learned when drawing by hand. I think many people that never learned on paper missed out on a lot of the fundimentals of drafting and do not fully appreciate the advantages that AutoCAD has.

You like AutoCAD, I like Vectorworks. We are both happy.
Vectorworks Architect with a 64-bit (900MHz bus) G-5 Mac for the price of AutoCAD...ohhkay..lemme think about that...
OOPS..thought about it....
Beta WAS better than VHS, you know....*ducking*
0?0
Rob
[If you're looking for a CAD program that's 3d-oriented, easy to use, and extremely powerful, with a ton of features you may never use but which are good to have just in case, try Rhino. If you need solids, parametrics, and mechanical-design functions, look into Inovate from Ironcad. I've got both programs at a steep discount from list prices.]
Andrew Werby www.computersculpture.com

I am just asking, Does anyone use Linux?
I found this site for a woodworking CAD program: http://lignumcad.sourceforge.net/doc/en/HTML/index.html any comments?
I have not read any posts on this thread using CAD on a Linux OS. Due to the nature of the beast, I would have thought any BSD derivatives like Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and so forth would be ideal for CAD, vector graphics, CAD/CAM, etc. Yes, I know there would be sharing and presentation problems for commercial use, but not for most of the users in the newsgroup.
But what the hey, if it works on Linux, with windowsX can Mac OS be far behind?
Phil

Solidworks. Oh, wait you want cheap. Nevermind.
Solidworks 2005 now comes with an executable that appears to look just like Autocad except it's not Autocad.
Still, you want cheap. Sorry, I can't help, I use Autocad and Solidworks.
I use TurboCAD. It has been highly rated in several reviews of CAD software in woodworking magazines over the years. Best thing is that it is available free as TurboCAD LE Learning Edition at http://www.al-ki.com/tcad/download.php .
As with most CAD programs, it takes some time and effort to learn. It does nice drawings once you learn it.
Mr Fixit eh
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:51:07 -0800, Geoff wrote:

Take a look at BobCad. My son is their tech support guru ... says it's good stuff. Don't know if it suits your purposes, though.
Bill
--
Uptimes below for Linux machines. One desktop, one web server.
16:08:00 up 31 days, 2:44, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.07, 0.06

Could you ask him why *none* of the Google links work?
One blurb: Save $100 -$500 doesn't tickle my financial palate.
Also, its CAD-CAM, and who the heck needs that in his garage workshop?
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Pencil and paper?
Seriously, be careful. It's easy to let the CAD take over from just getting on with the job.