Good washer/dryer machine make that isn't Miele

(Question on behalf of someone else)

Who's good these days, except Miele?

Reason for "not Miele" is they are a good 20-30kg heavier than a typical machine and I don't think the flat's floor is up to it.

I've had reasonable success with Bosch Logixx - but I'm wondering about looking at reviews of some others. Maybe LG and Samsung?

Where do AEG fit in - basically Bosch?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Can't advise on a "good" washer dryer as they all have the same flaw, namely they can't dry a full load. Better to stack a dryer on top of a washer and have the freedom to choose each one on its merits.

If it's for a small flat, consider the dehumidifier option for drying.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On the other hand they can wash a half load and dry it without attention, which is quite handy if you want to leave a wash-and-dry running whilst at work and come home to dry clothes ready to wear that evening.

(If you trust running a WM/TD whilst unattended that is.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I think my Miele weighs 90kg. I weigh slightly more than that and I'm sure if I walked through your flat the floor wouldn't have a problem with my weight. Nor if me and another person or two stood where the machine will be sited. So although they are heavy, the floor should be more than adequate for the weight, and if it isn't you probably need to start worrying about who walks on it. HTH

Reply to
pcb1962

IMO there is no such thing as a good washer drier machine. Driers need a large drum diameter to work best. You can't get this in a UK washer drier.

Reply to
Capitol

I'm coming to that conclusion...

Reply to
Tim Watts

My washer is a JLWM1414 (John Lewis, but really AEG) with a nominal load of

8kg (although I wouldn't put in more than 6kg due to space) and the drum is approx. 70 litres. I chose it in part for the size of drum as I consider that washing really needs 12li/kg and 10li/kg min. Now, I don't know if there's a washer/drier model, but the diameter of the drum is getting close to the max. for a washer. A drier alone could be a bit bigger as it could be the diameter of the outer drum of a washer and it's the diameter that gives the useful volume.
Reply to
PeterC

Which, Aug 2015, Wahser-dryers:

Allan

Panasonic? I'm thinking of the fact that as far as I know they still do one with rotating knobs not the nasty touch screens that most elderly folk need a magnifying glass to see. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Not sure if there is an AEG - Bosch link

Siemens, Bosch and Neff certainly have common parts/chassis etc

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I just noticed that - even to the point where the manuals were near identical!

I assumed they were all Bosch underneath?

Reply to
Tim Watts

My samsung has a drum that only just fits in the case so a dryer isn't going to be any bigger and I think its crap but I think just dryers are too.

Reply to
dennis

20-30 kg is probably the weight of a full load when wet.

Admit it - you know you should go for a Miele. May be more expensive, but last forever. Relatively.

Not generally impressed by the build quality of anything Samsung. Not designed to last.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many models were made in the same factory using common mechanics. Plastic trim variants and differing software fills turns them into quite different looking machines with different performance etc. I used to work for Siemens - in a quite different part of the business but I could buy domestic appliances as staff sales - something they continue to allow into retirement. We could get Siemens, Bosch and Neff brands but I don't recall AEG being offered. That is not to say they have not merged now. I retired 6 years ago.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If you'd asked me a few months ago I would have probably said Bosch Logixx. However, my parents had a Bosch Logixx integrated washer and at only 7 years old, the bearings had worn out and the heating element had gone. Not particularly impressive for a machine costing £550+ AND one that was well looked after.

I know these are wear and tear items but the cost of getting it repaired was rather high, it worked out cheaper to buy an ex-display (identical) machine to replace it.

Reply to
gremlin_95

Ironically the bottom end Meiles cost 600-ish.

As I say, this is for someone else, but I've had a Miele washing machine for years and it's bloody brilliant.

I replaced a Bosch Logixx dishwasher that died after about 9 years with a Miele too.

The real question was: would a bouncy flat's floor cope. Well, as the basic machine seems to be 90kg, probably. I was confused looking at the washer dryers which are a good deal heavier...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Beko.

Reply to
The Todal

Not Beko. Avoid Beko - their products tend to burst into flames and burn your house down.

In a recent Which report the best washer-dryer (and at a relatively modest price) was made by John Lewis. The JLWD1612.

The cheapest machine with a reasonable performance was the Indesit IWDE126.

Reply to
The Todal